Is Huckabee proposing a 23% sales tax and abolishing income and payroll taxes?

• News
  • Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    taxes
In summary, the man is proposing that we abolish the income and payroll tax, and move closer to Canada to avoid paying them twice. He also suggests that businesses find a way to work around the tax, or that we raise taxes on things like luxury items to make up for the lost revenue.
Physics news on Phys.org
So if you are living off your savings you will be taxed twice, once when you earned it under the old system, and again when you spend it under the new.

jimmysnyder said:
So if you are living off your savings you will be taxed twice, once when you earned it under the old system, and again when you spend it under the new.

Sounds like it, although I'm sure some mechanism would be put in place to recover such loses.

The way to lower taxes isn't by taking away income tax and making us pay that kinda sales tax, its to just cut all the crap that government is wasting money on and start trying to run it more like a business. Less money spent = less money needed.

Obviously government isn't a business, but you have to agree that there's a lot of stuff out there that we really don't need to be spending money on.

gravenewworld said:
I would just move close the border with Canada and hop the border every single time I needed to go grocery shopping.

Either that or businesses would find some smart way to work around the tax. Long long ago, I think North Dakota was the only state that didn't have laws against usury, so all credit agencies put their main headquarters there and had branches in other states. I don't see why something that can't be done to work around sales tax. Put the head location in Canada and have branches in the US. When you buy groceries, you'd be given a bill payable to a location in Canada, in US dollars, and you would pay it at the bank or online just like any other bill you get in the mail :tongue:

That's also a terribly regressive taxation scheme. It might even discourage spending if people get psyched about how much tax they pay every time they buy stuff. I think it's Norway that has insanely high sales tax; does anybody know is that was successful?

edit: Sales tax in Norway is about http://visitnorway.com/templates/NTRarticle.aspx?id=28268 [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator:
jimmysnyder said:
This semester we study the system only in equilibrium, that is as t-->00. We shall consider transients in a follow on course.

After watching and listening to the man for a bit, I have started to refer to him as Chuckybee.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/84/Chuckydoll.jpg/250px-Chuckydoll.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Huckabee 23% sales tax proposal?

The Huckabee 23% sales tax proposal is a tax plan proposed by former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee during his 2008 presidential campaign. It involves replacing all federal taxes, including income and payroll taxes, with a national sales tax of 23% on all goods and services.

2. How would the Huckabee 23% sales tax affect consumers?

The Huckabee 23% sales tax would likely have a significant impact on consumers, as it would result in a higher cost of goods and services. This means that individuals would have less disposable income and would have to pay more for the same items they currently purchase.

3. What are the potential benefits of the Huckabee 23% sales tax?

Proponents of the Huckabee 23% sales tax argue that it would simplify the tax system and eliminate loopholes, resulting in a fairer and more efficient tax system. It would also eliminate the need for individuals to file tax returns and would likely boost economic growth.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of the Huckabee 23% sales tax?

Opponents of the Huckabee 23% sales tax argue that it would disproportionately affect low-income individuals and families, as they would end up paying a larger portion of their income in taxes. It could also lead to a decrease in consumer spending and harm certain industries, such as housing and healthcare.

5. Has the Huckabee 23% sales tax been implemented in any country?

No, the Huckabee 23% sales tax has not been implemented in any country. Similar tax systems, such as the Value-Added Tax (VAT), have been adopted in some countries, but they typically have lower rates and are applied to a narrower range of goods and services. The Huckabee 23% sales tax proposal has not been enacted into law in the United States.