Uniquely Decodable Huffman Codes: What to Know

• Thread starter hhhmortal
  • Start date
In summary, Huffman's algorithm is a way to uniquely encode data using prefixes, but it's not always uniquely decodable.
hhhmortal
Hi, I'm quite stuck in understanding a certain feature of the huffman code. Basically how do I know that the code is uniquely decodable?

For example if I'm given symbols with different code words for each symbol, which would be uniquely decodable?

Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
hhhmortal said:
Hi, I'm quite stuck in understanding a certain feature of the huffman code. Basically how do I know that the code is uniquely decodable?
This just means that a bit pattern doesn't represent more than one possible coding of data, that two or more different codes would produce the same bit pattern and therefore not be unique. One test would be to decode all bit combinantions of the longest code sequence plus a few bits. Normally the leading bit pattern, usually all 0 or or all 1 bits, determines the length of current code word.

The way it works is by having unique prefixes. What does that mean?

Let's say you have the following:
a :: 1
b :: 00
c :: 011
d :: 010

Now I give you a string of bits,

How is this uniquely decodable? Well, we start reading from the left, and keep going to the right. We stop when the accumulated bits in the current string matches one of the entries in the table.

So here we go...
010 => becomes 'd'
1 => becomes 'a'
00 => becomes b
etc.

Basically, it's uniquely decodable because of the way the algorithm works, left to right, with prefix strings.

If you're asking whether or not things are uniquely encodable using Huffman's algorithm... they're not!

AUMathTutor said:
The way it works is by having unique prefixes. What does that mean?

Let's say you have the following:
b :: 00
c :: 011
d :: 010

Now I give you a string of bits,

How is this uniquely decodable? Well, we start reading from the left, and keep going to the right. We stop when the accumulated bits in the current string matches one of the entries in the table.

So here we go...
010 => becomes 'd'
1 => becomes 'a'
00 => becomes b
etc.

Basically, it's uniquely decodable because of the way the algorithm works, left to right, with prefix strings.

If you're asking whether or not things are uniquely encodable using Huffman's algorithm... they're not!

Oh right this makes perfect sense. Is there an easier way to determine if that alphabet you just mentioned is uniquely decodable or not? ..I've been trying to do it this way:

By adding a 1 or 0 at the end of the bit string of every symbol and seeing if they would match the others..If it does it wouldn't be unique?

As long as different characters have different prefixes, it will *always* be uniquely decodable. For instance, the following wouldn't work:

b :: 10
c :: 01
d :: 011

Why not? Because "a" is a prefix for "b". You wouldn't know whether to go with "a" when you reach it or keep going. Same for "c" and "d".

Under any scheme, if you start from the right and go left, for instance, you will get a different result than if you go left to right. In that sense, no scheme is uniquely decodable.

But making sure that no string is a prefix for another, and matching from left to right, it always works. Because you never have to ask, because once you can tell, it couldn't end up being something else.

1. What is a uniquely decodable Huffman code?

A uniquely decodable Huffman code is a type of code used in data compression that guarantees the ability to decode a compressed message without any ambiguity or error. This is achieved by ensuring that no codeword is a prefix of another codeword.

2. How is a uniquely decodable Huffman code created?

A uniquely decodable Huffman code is created through a process known as Huffman coding, which involves assigning variable-length codewords to different symbols based on their frequency of occurrence in a message. The most frequently occurring symbols are assigned shorter codewords, while less frequent symbols are assigned longer codewords.

3. What are the advantages of using a uniquely decodable Huffman code?

Using a uniquely decodable Huffman code can greatly reduce the size of a message or file, making it easier and faster to transmit and store. It also ensures that the original message can be accurately reconstructed without any loss of information.

4. Can a uniquely decodable Huffman code be decoded using different codebooks?

No, a uniquely decodable Huffman code can only be decoded using the specific codebook that was used to encode the message. Using a different codebook can result in decoding errors and loss of information.

5. Are there any limitations to using a uniquely decodable Huffman code?

One limitation of a uniquely decodable Huffman code is that it may not always achieve the maximum possible compression for a given message. This is because the code is based on the frequency of individual symbols, rather than the overall structure or patterns of the message.