Fire Safety Campaign: "Hug a Banana"

In summary: But I think the main idea was to make it seem less scary so kids would feel more comfortable running to the fire truck.In summary, a campaign called "hug a banana" encourages kids to run towards a large scary shape in yellow overalls and breathing apparatus if they come into a smoke-filled room. The idea is to make the fire seem less scary, but it's probably not going to work in real life.
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I heard about a fire safety campaign called "hug a banana" (or similair)
The idea was to encourage kids to run toward a large scary shape in yellow overalls and breathing apparatus if they come into your smoke filled bedroom - instead of running and hiding.

Since US firefighters wear yellow coveralls I assume it was a US/Canadian idea - does anyone know anything about it or am I imagining things?

Physics news on Phys.org
mgb_phys said:
I heard about a fire safety campaign called "hug a banana" (or similair)
The idea was to encourage kids to run toward a large scary shape in yellow overalls and breathing apparatus if they come into your smoke filled bedroom - instead of running and hiding.

Since US firefighters wear yellow coveralls I assume it was a US/Canadian idea - does anyone know anything about it or am I imagining things?

Would that even work in real life?

I'm certain the children are much more afraid of the fire and probably were already hiding. As well how can you tell exactly what colour the firefighters jacket is through smoke and fire anyways? :smile:

Sorry! said:
Would that even work in real life?

I'm certain the children are much more afraid of the fire and probably were already hiding. As well how can you tell exactly what colour the firefighters jacket is through smoke and fire anyways? :smile:

special jackets...?

Geez, Marty McFly really could have benefited from that if they'd taught it to farmers in the 50s...
http://www.bttfblog.com/images/back-to-the-future-costumes/radiation-suit-costume.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I've ever seen a firefighter in yellow. They are usually wearing some sort of brown gear with lots of reflective stuff on it.

Hug a banana sounds more like something you'd want to tell the moms than the kids. :uhh:

Hug a banana sounds more like something you'd want to tell the moms than the kids.
Wow, you're dirty. Or I'm dirty. One of us is dirty.

Can't they tell them to run towards a firefighter rather than confusing them by telling them they have to hug bananas? Kids aren't that dense.

Kurdt said:
Can't they tell them to run towards a firefighter rather than confusing them by telling them they have to hug bananas? Kids aren't that dense.

I think they're trying to make it fun and non-scary.

Kurdt said:

That's what I thought...besides, in a smoke-filled room, I'm not sure that yellow would look, well, yellow.

When my daughter was in kindergarten, a firefighter came to the class,wearing his full gear (tank and all!). He explained to the kids that if they're in a fire and they see someone dressed like that, go towards that person because they're there to rescue them. It was a great lesson, because a big man in that gear is pretty scary looking to a kid.

He looked *nothing* like a banana, btw...more like a Transformer or cyborg.

lisab said:
That's what I thought...besides, in a smoke-filled room, I'm not sure that yellow would look, well, yellow.
I wonder who might best know what a firefighter's suit would look like in a smoke-filled room...
The fire department perhaps?

I wonder if the fire safety campaign might have consulted with the fire department...:devil:

lisab said:
When my daughter was in kindergarten, a firefighter came to the class,wearing his full gear (tank and all!). He explained to the kids that if they're in a fire and they see someone dressed like that, go towards that person because they're there to rescue them. It was a great lesson, because a big man in that gear is pretty scary looking to a kid.
I think that was the idea - but I remember the scheme being called something about bananas.

lisab said:

He looked *nothing* like a banana, btw...more like a Transformer or cyborg.

I recall the same thing during school... we had a firetruck drive over during elementar school and there were about 4 firefighters that came. One got into full outfit and the others were just wearing those big pants with their regular shirts. They also had a dog which showed us stop-drop-roll.

I remember this day pretty vividly because this one kid in my grade started to cry a lot when the truck turned on its siren for a bit to show us with the lights and horns. He had to go home for the rest of the day--lucky.

Probably well intentioned, but reminds me of the era not long ago when they would call dinosours "long necks" in preschool, because they didn't think kids could say or relate to "brontosaurus" -- too big of a word, etc.

Kids have no problem with brontosaurus. At that age they don't have the concept of "big words" vs "little words", they're just words. And kids of that age suck up words better than a 'Bounty' ad. I say call a firefighter a firefighter.

Kurdt said:

It seems as though once people get past the age of forty or so, they seem to adopt the belief that everyone under 25 is a retarded fish.

Galteeth said:
It seems as though once people get past the age of forty or so, they seem to adopt the belief that everyone under 25 is a retarded fish.

You mean those past 25 are not?

1. What is the "Hug a Banana" fire safety campaign?

The "Hug a Banana" fire safety campaign is an educational campaign that aims to raise awareness about fire safety and prevention. It encourages people to use a banana as a prop to practice fire safety techniques, such as stop, drop, and roll.

2. Why is the campaign called "Hug a Banana"?

The campaign is called "Hug a Banana" because it uses a banana as a playful and memorable way to teach fire safety. The shape and size of a banana make it easy to hold and simulate a hug, which can help people remember the important message of fire safety.

3. Who is the target audience for the "Hug a Banana" campaign?

The target audience for the campaign is children and their families. The campaign aims to teach children about fire safety in a fun and engaging way, while also involving their parents and caregivers in the learning process.

4. How can I participate in the "Hug a Banana" campaign?

You can participate in the campaign by using a banana as a prop to practice fire safety techniques, such as stop, drop, and roll. You can also share the campaign on social media to raise awareness and encourage others to participate.

5. What are some important fire safety tips that the "Hug a Banana" campaign promotes?

Some important fire safety tips that the campaign promotes include having working smoke alarms in your home, creating a fire escape plan, and knowing how to properly use a fire extinguisher. It also emphasizes the importance of teaching children about fire safety and practicing fire drills regularly.