Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: HUGE C++ Problem

1. Dec 10, 2009 #1
    The code would be too long to paste here, so I've put it up on PasteBin.

http://pastebin.com/m1190678c [Broken]

My compiler has an issue with every single getline():

This is just for the one on line 161.
    Code (Text):
    Error   4   161 error C2784: 'std::basic_istream<_Elem,_Traits> &std::getline(std::basic_istream<_Elem,_Traits> &,std::basic_string<_Elem,_Traits,_Alloc> &)' : could not deduce template argument for 'std::basic_istream<_Elem,_Traits> &' from 'std::ifstream'   e:\users\ashwin\my stuff\school\post secondary\2009\kwantlen\school work\fall semester\cpsc 1103\assignments\assignment 5\cpsc1103_asgn05\cpsc1103_asgn05\cpsc1103_asgn05_combinedcode.cpp

Error   5   161 error C2784: 'std::basic_istream<_Elem,_Traits> &std::getline(std::basic_istream<_Elem,_Traits> &,std::basic_string<_Elem,_Traits,_Alloc> &)' : could not deduce template argument for 'std::basic_string<_Elem,_Traits,_Alloc> &' from 'int'   e:\users\ashwin\my stuff\school\post secondary\2009\kwantlen\school work\fall semester\cpsc 1103\assignments\assignment 5\cpsc1103_asgn05\cpsc1103_asgn05\cpsc1103_asgn05_combinedcode.cpp

Error   6   161 error C2780: 'std::basic_istream<_Elem,_Traits> &std::getline(std::basic_istream<_Elem,_Traits> &,std::basic_string<_Elem,_Traits,_Alloc> &,const _Elem)' : expects 3 arguments - 2 provided    e:\users\ashwin\my stuff\school\post secondary\2009\kwantlen\school work\fall semester\cpsc 1103\assignments\assignment 5\cpsc1103_asgn05\cpsc1103_asgn05\cpsc1103_asgn05_combinedcode.cpp

Also it appparently thinks I'm missing a ')' in the for loop on line 158, and a ';' before the '{' on 159.

I have no clue what's going on. Can someone please help me?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Dec 10, 2009 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

line ++9?

5. Dec 10, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Better than some code comments i have read!

6. Dec 10, 2009 #5

Mark44

Agreed, but there are a few comments that are not very useful, notably in the Inv function. It's obvious to the reader that the InvInfo function is being called, so a comment that says that isn't providing any extra information. (Line numbers omitted below.)
    Code (Text):

case 1: cout << "Accessing Book Information Function..." << endl; InvInfo(bookinfo); break; //calls InvInfo()
    case 2: cout << "Accessing Search Function..." << endl; InvSearch(bookinfo); break; //calls InvSearch()

7. Dec 10, 2009 #6
    Basically the way the text file is formatted is:
    Code (Text):

ISBN
    Title
    Author
    Publisher
    Quantity
    Wholesale Price
    Retail Price
    Date Added

ISBN
    Title
    Author
    Publisher
    Quantity
    Wholesale Price
    Retail Price
    Date Added
    So you read 8 lines, move 9 down, and repeat. I'll try to fix the getlines.

So how would I format the getlines to pull a line from the file and feed it into the structure?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  8. Dec 10, 2009 #7
    Ok, so I tried to mess with the getlines, but now it's just being dumb.

Here's a sample.

It was this:

invfile is the filestream, and the second argument is the structure address.
    Code (Text):
    getline(invfile, BookData.publisher)
    Then it apparently, needed three variables. So I did this:

Code (Text):
    getline(invfile, BookData.publisher, '\n')
    Then it needed only two...what the hell?

9. Dec 11, 2009 #8

Mark44

There are two getline functions, one with two params, and one with three.

10. Dec 11, 2009 #9
    Yeah, I managed to get it figure it out. Now I need to fine-tune it. Thanks for your help everyone

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook