1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: HUGE C++ Problem

1. Dec 10, 2009 #1
    The code would be too long to paste here, so I've put it up on PasteBin.

http://pastebin.com/m1190678c [Broken]

My compiler has an issue with every single getline():

This is just for the one on line 161.
    Code (Text):
    Error   4   161 error C2784: 'std::basic_istream<_Elem,_Traits> &std::getline(std::basic_istream<_Elem,_Traits> &,std::basic_string<_Elem,_Traits,_Alloc> &)' : could not deduce template argument for 'std::basic_istream<_Elem,_Traits> &' from 'std::ifstream'   e:\users\ashwin\my stuff\school\post secondary\2009\kwantlen\school work\fall semester\cpsc 1103\assignments\assignment 5\cpsc1103_asgn05\cpsc1103_asgn05\cpsc1103_asgn05_combinedcode.cpp

Error   5   161 error C2784: 'std::basic_istream<_Elem,_Traits> &std::getline(std::basic_istream<_Elem,_Traits> &,std::basic_string<_Elem,_Traits,_Alloc> &)' : could not deduce template argument for 'std::basic_string<_Elem,_Traits,_Alloc> &' from 'int'   e:\users\ashwin\my stuff\school\post secondary\2009\kwantlen\school work\fall semester\cpsc 1103\assignments\assignment 5\cpsc1103_asgn05\cpsc1103_asgn05\cpsc1103_asgn05_combinedcode.cpp

Error   6   161 error C2780: 'std::basic_istream<_Elem,_Traits> &std::getline(std::basic_istream<_Elem,_Traits> &,std::basic_string<_Elem,_Traits,_Alloc> &,const _Elem)' : expects 3 arguments - 2 provided    e:\users\ashwin\my stuff\school\post secondary\2009\kwantlen\school work\fall semester\cpsc 1103\assignments\assignment 5\cpsc1103_asgn05\cpsc1103_asgn05\cpsc1103_asgn05_combinedcode.cpp

Also it appparently thinks I'm missing a ')' in the for loop on line 158, and a ';' before the '{' on 159.

I have no clue what's going on. Can someone please help me?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Dec 10, 2009 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

line ++9?

5. Dec 10, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Better than some code comments i have read!

6. Dec 10, 2009 #5

Mark44

Agreed, but there are a few comments that are not very useful, notably in the Inv function. It's obvious to the reader that the InvInfo function is being called, so a comment that says that isn't providing any extra information. (Line numbers omitted below.)
    Code (Text):

case 1: cout << "Accessing Book Information Function..." << endl; InvInfo(bookinfo); break; //calls InvInfo()
    case 2: cout << "Accessing Search Function..." << endl; InvSearch(bookinfo); break; //calls InvSearch()

7. Dec 10, 2009 #6
    Basically the way the text file is formatted is:
    Code (Text):

ISBN
    Title
    Author
    Publisher
    Quantity
    Wholesale Price
    Retail Price
    Date Added

ISBN
    Title
    Author
    Publisher
    Quantity
    Wholesale Price
    Retail Price
    Date Added
    So you read 8 lines, move 9 down, and repeat. I'll try to fix the getlines.

So how would I format the getlines to pull a line from the file and feed it into the structure?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  8. Dec 10, 2009 #7
    Ok, so I tried to mess with the getlines, but now it's just being dumb.

Here's a sample.

It was this:

invfile is the filestream, and the second argument is the structure address.
    Code (Text):
    getline(invfile, BookData.publisher)
    Then it apparently, needed three variables. So I did this:

Code (Text):
    getline(invfile, BookData.publisher, '\n')
    Then it needed only two...what the hell?

9. Dec 11, 2009 #8

Mark44

There are two getline functions, one with two params, and one with three.

10. Dec 11, 2009 #9
    Yeah, I managed to get it figure it out. Now I need to fine-tune it. Thanks for your help everyone

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook