Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Human aging genes

1. Jan 6, 2009 #1
    What genes cause aging, most people think shortening of telomeres is the main reason of aging, but I know there are more than that, like Klotho, Methuselah. But which fews are more important than others, and what else are there?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2009 #2
    Don't forget the long standing theory that accumulation of errors in cell division which causes their failure is responsible for much of the aging.

4. Jan 7, 2009 #3
    You mean that the DNA of the cells have been damaged so mush that it stops dividing, and when a lot of them are dying at the same time, the tissues are losing its phsiological function, and age? BUt why do you say for much of the aging?

5. Jan 8, 2009 #4
    That's what I meant, yes, sorry if I expressed it awkwardly. With "much of the aging" I meant to say that it's been considered an important cause, although I wouldn't know just how important.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?