Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Human Bird Wings

1. Mar 21, 2012 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2012 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

From your second link:
    That was my first thought at seeing the video - and it's been a long time since I've seen that movie!

4. Mar 21, 2012 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Which brings to mind an interesting point. While human-powered flight isn't practical due to our strength limitations, flying monkeys are probably doable.

5. Mar 21, 2012 #4
  6. Mar 21, 2012 #5
  7. Mar 21, 2012 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't say impossible, I said impractical. The rider had to generate something like 400 watts continuous, which is beyond most people's ability for all but a very short time - less than a minute. The guy who did that had to train for a very long time.

However the idea of flapping wings with the arms to achieve flight is probably impossible for a human; at least for more than a few feet in altitude and a very short flight.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  8. Mar 22, 2012 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Watching that video, my guess would be that the very beginning and end of the clip - the parts that include the second frame - is actually the entire flight. He may have gotten a few feet of air but I think that's it.

9. Mar 22, 2012 #8
    A bird uses a tail for control. No control of this thing is why I go with fake. The Configuration does not fit a hang glider and its control either.

Things dont fit.

10. Mar 22, 2012 #9

Evo

Experts lean toward it being a fake.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012...o-fake-probably-ad-expert-says/#ixzz1preOMH2y

11. Mar 22, 2012 #10

Hans de Vries

Science Advisor

I took my daughter dozens of times to the playground you see there in the video :smile:
    It's just around he corner here. Well, I haven't been a witness unfortunately but maybe
    we'll get to see something in the next few days.

In the other videos you see the two 2000W brush less electrical motors in his backpack
    which together with the gearboxes produce the wing flapping which is controlled via the
    accelerometers on his arms. So he's moving his arms but the motors should do the work.

The mechanics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH3fQbGlQlM&list=UU7W2f5n5vYfM7TYVir3iPGw&index=6&feature=plcp
    The design: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgD0fYAaLq4&list=UU7W2f5n5vYfM7TYVir3iPGw&index=11&feature=plcp
    All videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/jarnosmeets80?feature=watch
    Some discussions on gizmode: http://gizmodo.com/5894904/man-flies-like-a-bird-flapping-his-own-wings

Is it true or not? Will be revealed in the 22th March edition of "de wereld draaid door"

Hans.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  12. Mar 22, 2012 #11
    This whole thread reminded me of this:

"The Miracle of Flight: A cutout animation by Terry Gilliam**" on YouTube

** In part, the animator for Monty Python

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  13. Mar 22, 2012 #12
    Put 80 pound weights on the ends of your arms and start flapping. Because that is how much each arm has to support if the guy weighs 160 pounds. Doable - No. Its all fake.

But the artist set out to cause a sensation and he does seem successful with the interest and discussion of his video. The artistic intention could have been to prove how gullable people are visually.

14. Mar 22, 2012 #13
    There have been human Power Flight, and there have been Battery/Motor powered flight. There have been Solar Powered Flight. There have been gas powered flight :).

This man didn't do anything new, even if its not fake. And on top of that he looks fake. Why are we giving so much importance to all this event?

15. Mar 22, 2012 #14

Evo

Good question. I have no idea. Just another stupid viral video.

16. Mar 23, 2012 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was going to say that there has never been human-powered flapping flight, but not true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E77j1imdhQ

17. Mar 23, 2012 #16
    It's a strange objection to say it's impractical. Impractical for what purpose? How practical do you want it to be? Most people can't pedal a bicycle for as long as he took to cross the English Channel. Does that mean bicycles are impractical? A lot of people can't walk continuously for two hours. Is walking impractical?

I think he more than demonstrated human powered flight is possible, not just in theory, but in practice: it can be practically achieved. If you want it to be a practical alternative to commercial airline transportation, then no. But then bicycles aren't practical for the same reason: they're not going to replace cars. If everyone owned and could pedal a Gossamer Albatross for over two hours, they'd still be impractical: there'd be no place to park them all, and I doubt anyone could get insurance.

18. Mar 23, 2012 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is impractical as compared to riding a bicycle the same distance, which only requires a fraction of the energy. It is impractical as it could never be a viable form of transportation, like a bicycle. It is impractical because the average person could never get off the ground.

However, flying monkeys may be another matter. I have a new goal in life.

19. Mar 23, 2012 #18
    Check out Hansdevrie's first link: the wings are mechanically operated in sync with his arm motions. There doesn't seem to be any claim of human powered flight here.

20. Mar 23, 2012 #19

Borek

21. Mar 23, 2012 #20

rhody

Gold Member

Idiots... How can really smart people be so dumb, they must be thinking, haha... I fooled you morons for 8 months and now I am fessing up because the truth is about to break. Put your efforts into really doing what was faked, then I would be impressed.

Rhody... :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook