1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Human body in space

1. Dec 10, 2013 #1
    I always wonder about our human body in space without any suits. I dunno exactly what happens but i wanna know which has been a interesting question to me right from my past.
    What will happen when a human body is exposed to space without any space suits?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2013 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It didn't seem to do Sandra Bullock any harm in 'Gravity'!!!!!

See this link. for some good information.

4. Dec 10, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you don't blow up, you'll get a good tan.

5. Dec 10, 2013 #4

adjacent

Gold Member

6. Dec 10, 2013 #5
    If you had air in your lungs, you would instantaneously explode. Otherwise, your blood and all the water in your body would boil (due to low pressure not temperature). Also, the temperature (in earth's magnetosphere) fluctuates between approximately -150 and 250 degrees centigrade. A word of advice, don't try this at home.

7. Dec 10, 2013 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is not likely. The time to take for your cabin / suit to decompress would be long enough to let air out of your lungs non-explosively unless you were deliberately trying to hold your breath. The scenario of lung damage due to holding breath is possible in submarine escapes - but the training makes it second nature to breathe out. I don't think the breath holding reaction would occur when not actually under water. But, in any case, the pressure inside would only be 1At (less in a spacecraft, I believe). It could rupture a few blood vessels etc. but the main issue would be hypoxia setting in after a couple of minutes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook