Comparing Human Body and Ham Spoilage: Exploring the Science Behind Decay

In summary, fermentation is a process of introducing an immune system into food in order to slow or stop rapid decay.
fredreload
Ham goes bad if you leave it there for a few days but why doesn't human body goes bad if you leave it there for a few days and when the person is alive?

Biology news on Phys.org
White blood cells and other features of the immune system keep healthy people from rotting.

Can they also be used as food preservatives? Right, immune system

fredreload said:
Can they also be used as food preservatives? But you can't really renew them hmm, other methods in preserving food?

The human immune system is living and active. Cells need a steady supply of oxygen and glucose, as well as removal of waste and CO2.

I can just build the immune system proteins immunoglobulins. What would happen if you just produce the proteins without the cell? Is that possible? I mean RNA build proteins from amino acids, but you don't need a cellular structure to keep these protein right? Do they become spam food or something?

Yeah and everything has a death process including humans, that ham is dead, when it was a live as swine it had all the necessary systems to support life. Its circulation was cut off and its CNS was severed then process of cell death began. That is why we preserve, freeze and process meats, to stop decomposition until we can consume it.
A living person has a system to expel dead cells and regenerate new cells (healing, biogenesis, ect.) until the circulatory system stops its function and the central nervous system stops its function then different processes begin.

Last edited:
Well if you imagine some RNA enzyme in a solution joining up amino acid to become protein, I mean that is all it does, eventually you are going to get a lot of these protein. But without a cellular structure these protein produced would you call it meat? Meat is protein and water but with a cellular structure

P.S. Maybe condensed protein? I mean it still tastes the same right?

This is all pretty straight forward simple question and you obviously know something about basic biology. I've seen these simple straight forward discussions turn into great and very interesting threads, the featured discussion is about alcohol temp going below freezing is a great example. That being said take it from me if you have a point to make...make it quickly because if you don't it will end up either in the black hole or closed. I used to drag out points and try and bait people for certain answers and usually before I got to my finally, I'd get shut down.

Just friendly advice.

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
gjonesy said:
This is all pretty straight forward simple question and you obviously know something about basic biology. I've seen these simple straight forward discussions turn into great and very interesting threads, the featured discussion is about alcohol temp going below freezing is a great example. That being said take it from me if you have a point to make...make it quickly because if you don't it will end up either in the black hole or closed. I used to drag out points and try and bait people for certain answers and usually before I got to my finally, I'd get shut down.

Just friendly advice.
It's alright, I just want to prove that the protein coming from RNA enzyme is edible without retaining its cellular structure, I'll leave the thread as it is, thanks!

fredreload said:
thanks!
You are welcome :smile:

Fermentation is a method of introducing an immune system into food. As long as the fermentation organisms are healthy they will tend to exclude other competing organisms. Multiple year old cheese exists. Cured Meats such as Prosciutto are often more than a year old. The aging process is partially due to bacteria.

BoB

fredreload said:
Ham goes bad if you leave it there for a few days but why doesn't human body goes bad if you leave it there for a few days and when the person is alive?
There's a key difference at work here: the ham is dead; the person is (hopefully) alive.

If you make the person (unfortunately) dead and leave him out for a few days, his body will go bad just like a piece of ham. This process can be slowed in a number of ways for both items: freezing, curing and drying with salt or other chemicals, irradiation to kill any microbes still living on or in the body which promote decomposition, etc.

The mummification of a body, which process the ancient Egyptians and other societies practiced, used some of these techniques to slow or stop rapid decay of dead bodies for religious reasons. The Egyptians were greatly aided in this because they live in one of the driest climates on earth, and removing moisture helps slow decay of organic material.

Likes gjonesy
rbelli1 said:
Fermentation is a method of introducing an immune system into food. As long as the fermentation organisms are healthy they will tend to exclude other competing organisms. Multiple year old cheese exists. Cured Meats such as Prosciutto are often more than a year old. The aging process is partially due to bacteria.

BoB
Like BoB mentioned, introduce the immune system into the food would be a good choice

The Op has been answered, thread closed.

1. How does the human body decay compared to ham spoilage?

The process of decay in the human body and in ham spoilage is quite different. In the human body, decay is caused by the breakdown of cells and tissues due to natural processes and external factors such as bacteria and fungi. On the other hand, ham spoilage is primarily caused by bacterial growth and enzymatic reactions.

2. What factors contribute to the rate of decay in the human body and ham spoilage?

Several factors can affect the rate of decay in both the human body and ham spoilage. These include temperature, humidity, oxygen levels, and the presence of microorganisms. In the human body, the cause of death and overall health can also play a role in the rate of decay.

3. Why is studying decay important in the context of human health?

Understanding the processes of decay can provide valuable insights into the functioning of the human body and the impact of various diseases and conditions. It can also aid in developing treatments and medications to slow down or prevent decay, which can improve overall health and quality of life.

4. How can the study of ham spoilage contribute to food safety?

By studying ham spoilage, scientists can learn more about the conditions that promote bacterial growth and food spoilage. This knowledge can then be used to develop better food preservation methods and improve food safety standards to prevent foodborne illnesses.

5. What are some scientific methods used to study decay in the human body and ham spoilage?

There are various scientific methods used to study decay, including microscopy, chemical analysis, and DNA sequencing. These methods allow scientists to examine the changes in cellular structures, chemical compositions, and microbial communities that occur during decay in both the human body and ham spoilage.