Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Human Brain

1. Jul 17, 2010 #1
    Hi everyone,

I am actually very new to biology and unable to understand some of the things.

My question is that, if our heart is working because of the blood it pumps, I mean that our heart needs blood for pumping all the time and if it dont get the blood then it may stop working !!

So, how the brain is working ? !

I first related its working to blood and oxygen, but then I realized that there might be something different about our brain.

Any ideas ? !

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2010 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

All the cells in all human tissues do work the same way - they require oxygen and glucose
    to respire - to release energy to do work.

Organs all have a blood supply. Blood provides glucose + oxygen and removes the end products of respiration like carbon dioxide. This allows cells to do their job. Your heart and brain have a blood supply.

Beyond that, I don't get what you are trying to ask. The brain has a blood supply. If it is interrupted you go unconscious very quickly. Except under very rare circumstances, if the blood supply is cut off for more than a few minutes the brain dies.

4. Jul 17, 2010 #3
    I got you !!

Glucose was the thing missing from my mind, I actually thought that brain might be working from blood and oxygen only, but where I was missing was to find about its energy provider, so glucose was it !!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook