Human contributions less than previously described

• Thread starter pattylou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary: The Science Daily article linked in the summary states that human activity is one of the factors that contribute to climate change. The article also states that the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) is entering a cooling phase, which is in contrast to the North Atlantic Oscillation which is warming up. The article provides a link to a website that has a comprehensive study of climate oscillations, which may be interesting to readers.
pattylou
Human contributions "less than previously described"

I chose that title because someone on Politics made the claim that human contributions were less than previously thought, but I never saw a reference provided for the claim (although I asked for one). I believe I was the recipient of a diatribe in response to my request.

Below, is a reference for the claim.

The linked report was in Science Daily in 2003. I am glad to see a group looking at the Pacific Decadal Oscillation - Something that I have maintained was a good candidate to be largely responsible for the cooling trend seen between ~1949 - 1973. This cooling trend has been cited by climate change skeptics as reason to be skeptical of the larger "global warming" issue. I have never seen it to be a good reason to be skeptical of warming - we ought to be able to identify factors that contribute to climate and assign a rough percentage of total warming to each factor. naturally there will be cycles - Yearly cycles such as summer winter, and decadla cycles, such as the oceanic oscillations, and longer cycles as well. We ought to be able to measure our effect on the environment with the knowledge of what the natural cycles are.

This 2003 report indicates that perhaps half of warming is due to the PDO oscillation. The other half is due to other factors and the authors maintain that human activity is one of them.

I would *still* like to see a paper that describes all the oceanic oscillations together - Primarily because even though the PDO is entering a cooling phase at present, the North Atlantic Oscillation is warming up. Simplistically it seems to me that the two should balance out, and if the researchers only looked at the PDO they may be coming up with the wrong answer.

In any event, here is the link and the title of the paper:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/11/021113070418.htm

Pacific Ocean Temperature Changes Point To Natural Climate Variability

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I second that, the Southern Oscilation Index plays a major role as does the North Atlantic Oscillation. http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=24156&start=1 here has made a comprehensive study of climate oscillations. May be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
As The Primary Driver

I appreciate the reference to the Science Daily report on the Pacific Decadal Oscillation and its impact on climate change. It's important to consider all factors when trying to understand and address global warming. As you mentioned, there are many natural cycles that contribute to climate variations, and it's crucial to understand and measure their effects in order to accurately assess the impact of human activity on the environment.

While the report does suggest that the PDO may account for about half of recent warming, it also acknowledges that human activity is still a significant contributor. And as you rightly pointed out, there are other oscillations, like the North Atlantic Oscillation, that may also play a role.

It's encouraging to see that scientists are continuing to study and analyze these natural cycles and their effects on climate. This kind of research helps us better understand the complexities of our planet's climate and can inform our efforts to mitigate and adapt to global warming. Thank you for sharing this information and for your thoughtful approach to the topic.

What does "Human contributions less than previously described" mean?

"Human contributions less than previously described" refers to a situation where human activities or actions are not having as significant of an impact on a particular topic or issue as previously thought or described.

Why is it important to study human contributions?

Studying human contributions is important because it allows us to understand the impact of human actions on various aspects of our world, such as the environment, social dynamics, and technological advancements. This knowledge can help us make more informed decisions and take action to mitigate negative impacts.

What are some examples of human contributions?

Examples of human contributions include pollution, deforestation, technological advancements, cultural developments, and societal norms and behaviors. These can have both positive and negative impacts on our world.

How can we measure human contributions?

There are various ways to measure human contributions, depending on the specific aspect being studied. For example, we can measure the amount of carbon emissions released into the atmosphere to determine the impact of human activities on climate change. Social scientists may use surveys or statistical analysis to measure the impact of human behavior on societal norms and cultural developments.

What are the potential consequences of human contributions?

The potential consequences of human contributions can vary greatly depending on the specific activity or issue being studied. In some cases, human contributions can have positive impacts, such as advancements in technology and cultural developments. However, they can also have negative consequences, such as environmental degradation, social inequality, and health issues. It is important to carefully study and monitor human contributions to mitigate potential negative consequences.