Comparing Crushing Forces: Human vs. Fly

In summary, there is a debate about whether a body can be crushed to the point of dust. It is not possible for either a human body or a fly to be crushed to the point of dust, as animals are mostly made of water and would just become a goopy mess when crushed. Additionally, the difference in scale between a fly and a human may only affect the amount of force needed to crush them, not the outcome. It is suggested to compare the mass and energy of a fly versus a human and their respective crushing methods to prove this point.
Rainie Metis

Homework Statement

Hello All,

I might be at best HS level physics understanding but I’m quick study and need guidance. I am in a debate with someone who thinks a body can be crushed to the point of dust. I’d like to know if a comparison can be made, basic ratio: Human crushed by a building at freefall speed, pancake collapse vs. crushing of housefly. Can you calculate comparable crushing pressure, speed, weight?

I’d like to show comparable force and fairly closely prove the fly doesn’t disintegrated. I’m open to suggestions if there is a better comparison or proof. I’d love to prove this point.
Thank you for taking a look!

Rainie

Homework Equations

Building 417 meters high
100 floors
Mass 600,000 tons
Freefall speed

Equivalent force =
Fly roughly 12 milligrams

The Attempt at a Solution

I’ve tried to calculate force, velocity, weight and mass ratios. Getting a bit tangled up in measurements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rainie Metis said:
I am in a debate with someone who thinks a body can be crushed to the point of dust.

Dust? No, neither the human body nor a fly can be crushed to a point where their remains are just dust. Animals are composed of large amounts of water, which is why insects (and people) are squished into a goopy mess.

Rainie Metis said:
I’d like to show comparable force and fairly closely prove the fly doesn’t disintegrated. I’m open to suggestions if there is a better comparison or proof. I’d love to prove this point.

You don't even need to do any calculations. Just remember any time that you've ever squished a bug under your shoe. Increasing the crushing force won't change things. You just can't separate all that water from the other bits.

Rainie Metis said:
a body can be crushed to the point of dust
Not sure what you mean by that.
If you mean to having the size of a speck of dust then yes, but it would require enough pressure to collapse the atoms into a ball of neutrons. Something like 1034Pa, I believe.
But perhaps you only mean to the point where no solid structures remain larger than a speck of dust. Presumably that would correspond to the pressure needed to crush the strongest structures in the body, the teeth.

Sorry for this , are you watching a lot of 1950s-60s cartoons lately? A human getting crashed by a huge building falling at terminal velocity?

Well without getting into detailed calculations I think a human crashed by a 600k ton building falling at terminal velocity gets way more crashed than a fly that we crash with the fly buster or whatever is called that thing...

Last edited:
The original post doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It's not clear what you are trying to compare.

A fly is probably made of much the same stuff as a human (both oxygen breathing carbon based life forms as they would say on star trek) so perhaps only the scale is different?

Perhaps compare the mass of fly Vs human and the energy in the fly swatter Vs falling building??

Likes Delta2

1. What is the difference between human and fly crushed?

The main difference between human and fly crushed is the size and composition of the organism. Humans are much larger and have a more complex internal structure, while flies are smaller and have a simpler anatomy.

2. Is the impact of being crushed different for humans and flies?

Yes, the impact of being crushed is much greater for humans than for flies. The force exerted on a human body when being crushed is significantly higher due to their larger size and weight.

3. Can both humans and flies survive being crushed?

It is possible for both humans and flies to survive being crushed, but it depends on the severity and location of the crush. Humans have a higher chance of survival due to their ability to withstand more force, while flies may not survive a significant crush.

4. How does the body respond to being crushed?

When the body is crushed, the cells and tissues experience trauma and damage. The body's natural response is to release hormones and increase blood flow to the affected area to aid in healing and repair.

5. Are there any long-term effects of being crushed for humans and flies?

The long-term effects of being crushed can vary for both humans and flies. In humans, the effects can range from broken bones and internal damage to long-term disabilities. For flies, the effects may include impaired movement or loss of wings, which can affect their ability to survive and reproduce.