Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Human Development Report

1. Oct 5, 2009 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The UNDP has made a new ranking: http://hdr.undp.org/en/statistics/

Norway is still the best country to live in.

Top ten:
    • Norway
    • Australia
    • Iceland
    • Canada
    • Ireland
    • Netherlands
    • Sweden
    • France
    • Switzerland
    • Japan

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2009 #2

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

Isn't Norway pretty cold?:smile:

4. Oct 6, 2009 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And dark for most of the year :smile: I was surprised that Japan is so high on the list, from what I've heard life can be pretty tough there where there is a lot of pressure to work hard and be successful (with high suicide rates as the result). They might be technologically very advanced, but what kind of effect does that have on the personal level of people living there?

5. Oct 6, 2009 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

So?

I LIKE that icicles form in my nose, it has such a ticklish feel to it.

Besides, cigarettes taste SO much better in -20C, they light up the environment, too, in a fairy-talish way.

6. Oct 6, 2009 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

As for Iceland, the numbers being used is pre-financial crisis; now, the entire country is bankrupt.

7. Oct 6, 2009 #6
    Very low birth rates have been shrinking the population. Apparently over 20% of their population are retirement age or older. Due to the stressing of family values most japanese will not have children they can not take care of and will often have only one child, the better to give the child the best life. Also many of the elderly are probably being taken care of by their families and many people over 65 may still be working.

They also have very low immigration and very strict citizenship requirements, so much so that there are people living there who were born there and speak only japanese but are not citizens. Many of the poor, mostly being foreign guest workers, are probably not counted in those statistics.

8. Oct 6, 2009 #7
    Australia 2nd? It may be a good country, but for second.. other countries must be complete garbage.

9. Oct 6, 2009 #8
    I had the same reaction to Australia - what are the criteria?

10. Oct 6, 2009 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  11. Oct 6, 2009 #10
    The video made ME cry:bugeye: - thanks Cyrus.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  12. Oct 6, 2009 #11

Evo

People might want to turn the volume down before the screaming starts.

The woman that sounds like Minnie Mouse "bring me to this rock that has the most incredible life". Uhm, ok.

13. Oct 6, 2009 #12

russ_watters

The UNDP may be a tree hugging organization, but the HDI is just simplistic. It isn't bad, just limited. It has 3 components, income education and life expectancy:

14. Oct 6, 2009 #13
  15. Oct 6, 2009 #14

Evo

:rofl: Sorry, I am so bad, but the mistake below is just hysterical considering the context.

Bolding is mine.

16. Oct 6, 2009 #15

17. Oct 7, 2009 #16

russ_watters

I'm not sure what you mean by that first part, but the usefulness of this (to me) is more in tracking the changes in the human conditions using this rough standard as a lens.

18. Oct 7, 2009 #17

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

To see why such a report IS extremely simplistic as russ watters said, and, indeed, misleading, let's take Norway:

In the course of, in practice, strangling the the possibility for small-to-medium businesses to take on apprentices in the 1980s and 1990s (WAY too costly and time-consuming),
    the number of 15-18 year olds who were in need for something to do,mushroomed.

However, since their "natural" growth zone would have been apprenticeships, but these were withered away, they were to be put into the higher level theoretical schools instead.

Since they didn't (and don't) have either the inclination or competence to attend such schools, the requirements for them to enter them have been removed (all Norwegian youth have now the "right" for a place in the school, normally up to 18 years of age, but stretchable to 21), and the curricular demands have plummeted as well, in order to maximize the number of pupils passing on their final exams.

Not that it has worked very well, though, at the more craft-oriented schools, the drop-out rate is well above 30%, not that much less on the theoretical schools (guesstimate: 15-20%).

However, the simplistic calculation in the HDI will most likely give the Norwegian school system five stars, although it actually is in total shambles, something international tests like PISA have shown conclusively.

19. Oct 7, 2009 #18
    hehehe - sounds like a bunch of 'sour grape' posts from people not in the top ten eh. :cry:

20. Oct 7, 2009 #19
    I'm surprised the United States is so high on the list.

21. Oct 7, 2009 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the HDI is simplistic with only 3 components. At a minimum, public nudity should be included in the rankings, since it improves quality of life. I think that category should pretty much sink countries like Norway, Iceland, Canada, Sweden, and Finland. Or maybe not.

How is it the leading countries in public nudity are Scandinavian countries and Germany? Don't they own thermometers?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook