Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Human Genome Information

1. Feb 26, 2005 #1
    With the completion of mapping the human genome what consequences will this have on humanity. Will we be able to engineer humans before birth or be able to look at several candidates and pick the best one? I am really curious about this subject. Sorry for my ignorance in biology.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2005 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We are already able to do genetic screens before the birth of a child. It is used to help parents with a highly heritable disease to give rise to children without that disease. I know it was used one time to select an embryo that could be a bone marrow donor for it's sibling.

Now that the whole genome sequence is know, it will facilitate the finding of genes that cause disease and thus more broad screening of embryos.. the government is not allowed to screen for characteristics such as blue eyes, but I think the private sector is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?