Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Human Genome Project .

1. May 11, 2009 #1
    Human Genome Project.....

Do any of you know anything about the Human Genome Project that wasn't in the standard textbooks?
    My class has been doing things about genetics research, and the video we watched did not explain very much about it. All it basically said was that the Project was a researching of the genes and why/how we become what we are.
    Can you help please?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2009 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

Re: Human Genome Project.....

It's hard to say what was and was not in 'textbooks'. You read them - I probably did not.

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/home.shtml

Read and decide what your textbooks missed. And please note this site is not tolerant of conspiracies and what-if's that lead into non-science. Why did I say that? -- this type of query usually leads down that path.

4. May 12, 2009 #3

uh?
    :confused:
    what does that mean?
    the
    thing.
    i is confuzzled.
    :confused:
    but thank you for the site.
    it helped a lot
    :biggrin:

5. May 17, 2009 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The actual human genome project is fairly simple in its goals. It was intended to map the human genome. However, that doesn't do very much for anyone. Since then, researchers have been using that data to try to assign functions to all the genes identified, which is a much more difficult task, but far more important than just mapping the genes with no understanding of what they do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook