Human Genome Project .

• Thread starter DarkRyuSan
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Human Genome Project.....

Do any of you know anything about the Human Genome Project that wasn't in the standard textbooks?
My class has been doing things about genetics research, and the video we watched did not explain very much about it. All it basically said was that the Project was a researching of the genes and why/how we become what we are.
Can you help please?

Answers and Replies

jim mcnamara
Mentor

It's hard to say what was and was not in 'textbooks'. You read them - I probably did not.

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/home.shtml

Read and decide what your textbooks missed. And please note this site is not tolerant of conspiracies and what-if's that lead into non-science. Why did I say that? -- this type of query usually leads down that path.

uh?
:confused:
what does that mean?
the
this site is not tolerant of conspiracies and what-if's that lead into non-science. Why did I say that? -- this type of query usually leads down that path.
thing.
i is confuzzled.
:confused:
but thank you for the site.
it helped a lot
:biggrin:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

The actual human genome project is fairly simple in its goals. It was intended to map the human genome. However, that doesn't do very much for anyone. Since then, researchers have been using that data to try to assign functions to all the genes identified, which is a much more difficult task, but far more important than just mapping the genes with no understanding of what they do.