Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Human Origin

1. Jan 10, 2006 #1
    It is my understanding that the DNA guys have concluded that all Homo sapiens originated as progeny of a single "Eve" in Central(?) Africa.

Since I haven't heard anything about "Adam," I assume that the genetic tracers don't allow anything to be said about the male lineage. Be that as it may.

Presumably, in order for Eve to be "Eve," she had multiple children; presumably some were male, others female.

Does anyone have any idea what happened next? In order for Eve to be "Eve" the immediately logical deduction is that her children would have had to inbreed. Somehow it doesn't make sense that, if her sons had surviving children from females other than their sisters, the DNA would trace directly back to Eve.

Does anyone have a handle on this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2006 #2

Gold Member

4. Jan 10, 2006 #3
    Ok. No, I wasn't under the misconception that Eve was the only female. It was the "unbroken line of daughters" qualifier that I was missing.

Would I be correct in assuming that, short of mass extinction, it is now statistically improbable, if not impossible, to break the line of daughters? If so, any idea how many generations it took to reach that point? (more or less)
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?