1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Human Resource pre-hiring tests

1. Sep 13, 2010 #1
    How many of you have ever been excluded from a position because the company made all applicants take the myers-briggs or a compentency skills assesment?

Just wondering, because in my software life I got alot of consulting work because companies could not hire the talent to do development projects. And it was because the intense developers didn't fit the corporate culture.

I am taking some HR courses as part of my endless quest for knowledge and unlimited funds to go school until i get a Degree. And I am doing a course on this stuff and I just did a paper slamming these tests. Was that the assignment? Nope. It was to illustrate how useful they were, but you say tomato and tomatoe.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At one of my jobs, we were all given the option to take the Meyers-Briggs, but we were all permanent employees who had been there a while. I thought it was helpful.

Btw, there was a thread in General Discussion not long ago about the test. I'll find the link...

Here it is...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=281171

4. Sep 13, 2010 #3
    Thanks, I should have searched.

What did they use if for? Career development or to identify training needs? Do you know the reason? ( And thanks, this sort of feedback will help me with my course ).

5. Sep 13, 2010 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...well if I remember, they said it's to help understand our coworkers. And to be honest, it did help. I thought some people were dour and quiet because they were kind of @ssholes but no, it was just their temperament.

I thought it odd that so many PFers scored INTJ, it's not a common type.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook