1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Human slingshot

1. Nov 18, 2013 #1
    I want to build a fun, but potentially dangerous toy - a human slingshot (into a lake). I'm trying to figure out the physics of a contraption like this but it's been 20 years since I took a physics class. The formulas I'm finding online are giving me some unrealistic numbers, so I know I'm doing something wrong. I want to make a model in Excel that I can enter the variables and figure out what is reasonable. So I need the formula/formulas so I can set up the model.

I want to know the formula that if I enter 3 of 4 variables (launch speed, range, angle of launch, and maximum height) I can solve for the fourth. For example, I want to throw someone 100 feet, at a max height of 30 feet at a 30 degree launch angle. What speed would they have to leave the sling shot at? Or I want to launch 100 feet and I can launch them at 40 mph, at about 30 degrees. What is their max height? etc etc etc.

This way I can figure out if the speed/height are within a safe limit. Or if I need to shorten the distance. Or if I can launch farther, etc.

Thanks! You can come try it out if I survive the first launch. haha

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed for Moderation...

EDIT -- thread will stay closed. We do not discuss dangerous activities here on the PF.

EDIT (DaleSpam) - similar devices have led to permanent paralysis and death. The only recommendation from PF on constructing such a device is to NOT do it. All responses to the OP have correspondingly been deleted.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook