Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Human species 'may split in two'

1. Oct 24, 2008 #1
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6057734.stm

It's interesting but sounds BS to me.

What you think about humans in that many years(~10,000) from now?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2008 #2
    While evolution is not a ladder, and its possible our descendants could be a regression of us, I don't see our descendants being completely void of emotion.

4. Oct 24, 2008 #3
    Being void of emotion would give a lot more time for the important things in life - like sex.

5. Oct 24, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd be happy just for humans to still be around in 10,000 years.

6. Oct 24, 2008 #5
    Sounds like BS to me.

7. Oct 24, 2008 #6
    or 100 years,

I think it was Asimov or Orwell who first predicted that humans species will split in two classes. One class will posses quality genes ranging from high intelligence, looks, athletics and the other will be the opposite.

8. Oct 24, 2008 #7
    It's little contradictory.

1) Humans will lose love and emotions
    (I am not sure how many people really care about the whole society even now.)
    2) There will be an inferior class

I really don't know how inferior class can even survive given that humans aren't mature enough to be tolerant or to live with harmony and peace...

9. Oct 24, 2008 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You mean like this?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=266696

10. Oct 24, 2008 #9
    What Asimov or Orwell was implying (forgot who) is that in the generations to come genes with not perfect qualities will multiply themselves and produce very deformed, hobit, cavemen type people. Whereas those with very good genes will multiply them over generations to produce super humans.

But Tracy is just someone who has a warped belief system. Anyone has potential for that.

11. Oct 25, 2008 #10
    No, not Asimov or Orwell - this is from... oh, it actually says it in the article. Yeah, it's straight out of The Time Machine.

12. Oct 25, 2008 #11

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There was an article a while ago which appeared on the front page of Yahoo claiming that the human species is going to evolve into one race and even proceeded to describe some of the features of this hypothetical race. It may have been relevant soley to the US , at this point I am not able to remember.

I do not believe we are going to have a super race - exactly what kind of competition is going to spur the development of this super race? The US is one of the richest nations it has arrived at this state by attending to all of the cultures here. So if humanity is going to be bipolar how is this relevant to the economy compared to the state of today where all of the gradients of ability that place each and every one of us in our respective sectors systematically contribute to the economy?

If the future is a singular race there may be some immediate problems with this. For one... all of the problems that had caused humans to diverge and create nations.

Nations exist for a purpose. People born within each nation are able to learn from the history of that nation e.g. foreign relations. This is why I believe that this merging of the races is not going to happen.

13. Oct 25, 2008 #12
    The question is if Homo sapiens urbanis VAR professionalis is risking extinction perhaps because he forgot something essential for the survival of the species.

14. Oct 25, 2008 #13

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes they will eveolve into a super inteligent race that understand computers and advanced technology - and a handsome race that will manage them.

15. Oct 25, 2008 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm voting BS. While I fully expect humans to be different in 10,000 years, I think it's rather presumptuous to think anyone could predict what exactly those changes will be. The safe thing about these predictions is nobody will be around who heard them to say it was wrong in 10,000 years.

16. Oct 25, 2008 #15

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'm sorry, but he got it backwards, we are going to evolve into much uglier, unhealthier people. Men are choosing women with fake breasts, starvation diets, calf implants, rib removal, and both men and women are choosing mates pumped full of botox, nose jobs, chin implants, facial reconstruction (cheekbones, etc..), liposuction for body reshaping. People are being born and living long enough to reproduce through medical intervention, and are spreading even more genetic problems into the gene pool.

17. Oct 25, 2008 #16

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Calf implants and rib removal ... why? Most men do not care whether their partner had surgery or not - they are not preoccupied with what kind of life their child is going to have - however this is not the same with women. A woman's social status has a lot to do with what her child becomes. In the meanwhile the man is imagining greener pasteurs - other beautiful women. Women are very particular about genes. I guess the sole way to justify the surgery is that if the formerly ugly woman marries a beautiful , intelligent , socially compatible man then their children are going to have a good chance of having the same traits. Then the surgery was worth it.

18. Oct 25, 2008 #17
    :rofl:

19. Oct 27, 2008 #18
    hey now, it's truer than you might think. depending on the COMT genes you inherit, you might be a deep thinker, but also predisposed to high anxiety when placed under high stress. your COMT evil twin, however, performs best under this high-stress environment, but isn't the deep thinker you are. as you can see, this could present a problem. if the type-A management guy thinks everyone else must be like him and gets better results when more pressure is placed on them, then he may be sabotaging his own results by creating an environment where the deep thinkers can't function optimally.

there is also some suggestion now that by supplementing our food supply with folate (to prevent neural tube defects), fewer babies with MTHFR polymorphisms (a defect in folate metabolism) are spontaneously aborted. and the result here is more children with autism disorders. this may mean more technological advancement, as autistics are often better able to see the physical world for what it is, but also more social retardation.

20. Oct 28, 2008 #19

CEL

For a specific gene to become predominant in the gene pool, it must provide some breeding advantage to the individuals possessing it. Certainly, being smarter or more sexually attractive are traits that favor procreation, so we could expect that genes that provide those traits can be selected in the gene pool.
    But I agree that miscegenation will lead to people with uniform skin color in the future.
    But 10000 years represent 400 to 500 human generations. Too short a period for natural selection to work, specially because there will be no isolated niches in which it could act.

21. Oct 28, 2008 #20

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

With social selection pressure you can do the same thing in very short timescales, 10s of generations, because the birth rate advantage is much higher.

If you have a society where eg. red hair is considered unlucky and women with red hair are 50% less likely to marry than those with blond hair then it doesn't take very long for the gene to dissapear.
    Modern medicine, low birth rate and high survival rates slow down natural selection - but everybody deciding they are only going to marry (or at least have kids with) tall men has a strong effect very quickly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?