Human Stress Reaction: Mind Changes Explored

In summary, the fight-or-flight response is a bodily response that prepares an individual for physical confrontation or escape. This response results in the release of adrenaline, which causes an increase in heart rate, blood flow, and respiration. The fight-or-flight response is initiated by perceived danger, and it can last for up to 30 minutes.
scott_alexsk
Hello I mentioned this in General Discussion, but perhaps I can get some answers here. In the human stress reaction, the blood flows away from the skin and fat is dumped into the blood stream. The the removing of blood away from the skin allows the person a better chance of surviving in case of an injury. Also the placement of fat into the bloodstream allows for the muscles to have the most avaible energy possible to be able to get out of the situation.
Here's my question: Are there any known changes in the human mind connected to the stress reaction. I mean it seems like in very dangerous situations people say that they see time pass very slowly. Once more is there any known change?
-Scott

Biology news on Phys.org
I think that this is probably a better thread for the Mind & Brain Forum. I was googling for info because your question intrigues me too and I came up with this Wikapedia article.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight-or-flight_response"

Perhaps time perception is related to memory, and certain hormones released during "fight or flight" alter this. It would be fascinating to know more.
I found this abstract of a literature review, perhaps if someone has time and interest they might be able to find the full article and read it--or I might if I want to procrastinate this weekend.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9886227&dopt=Abstract"

Last edited by a moderator:
Can a Mentor please move my thread to the Mind and Brain Science Forum? I think it would get more discussion there.
-Scott

Well, the most obvious thing would be the release of adrenaline. Maybe someone can specify more in detail what happens in the brain during acute stress.

Does anyone know anything about this topic? Any comments are welcome.
-Scott

1. What causes the human stress reaction?

The human stress reaction can be caused by a variety of factors including physical, emotional, and environmental stressors. These can include things like illness, trauma, work overload, financial worries, and relationship problems.

2. How does stress impact the brain?

Stress can cause changes in the brain, specifically in the amygdala and prefrontal cortex. The amygdala is responsible for processing emotions and can become overactive during times of stress, while the prefrontal cortex, which is responsible for decision-making and problem-solving, can become impaired.

3. Can stress cause long-term changes in the brain?

Yes, chronic stress can lead to long-term changes in the brain, including structural and functional changes. This can affect memory, decision-making, and emotional regulation.

4. Are there any positive effects of stress on the brain?

While chronic stress can have negative effects on the brain, acute stress can actually have some positive effects. It can enhance memory and learning, and can also improve immune function and increase motivation.

5. How can we manage the negative effects of stress on the brain?

Some ways to manage the negative effects of stress on the brain include practicing stress-reducing techniques such as mindfulness, exercise, and deep breathing. It is also important to seek support from friends, family, or a mental health professional when experiencing chronic stress.