Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Human Stress Reaction

1. Feb 17, 2006 #1
    Hello I mentioned this in General Discussion, but perhaps I can get some answers here. In the human stress reaction, the blood flows away from the skin and fat is dumped into the blood stream. The the removing of blood away from the skin allows the person a better chance of surviving in case of an injury. Also the placement of fat into the bloodstream allows for the muscles to have the most avaible energy possible to be able to get out of the situation.
    Here's my question: Are there any known changes in the human mind connected to the stress reaction. I mean it seems like in very dangerous situations people say that they see time pass very slowly. Once more is there any known change?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2006 #2
    I think that this is probably a better thread for the Mind & Brain Forum. I was googling for info because your question intrigues me too and I came up with this Wikapedia article.

Perhaps time perception is related to memory, and certain hormones released during "fight or flight" alter this. It would be fascinating to know more.
    I found this abstract of a literature review, perhaps if someone has time and interest they might be able to find the full article and read it--or I might if I want to procrastinate this weekend.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  4. Feb 18, 2006 #3
    Can a Mentor please move my thread to the Mind and Brain Science Forum? I think it would get more discussion there.
  5. Feb 18, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, the most obvious thing would be the release of adrenaline. Maybe someone can specify more in detail what happens in the brain during acute stress.
  6. Feb 23, 2006 #5
    Does anyone know anything about this topic? Any comments are welcome.
  7. Mar 4, 2006 #6

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?