Design a Human Touch Sensor Device | Get Help Now

In summary: A near-focus PIR (passive infra-red) sensor is a common option because it is cheap and easy to use. A capacitive sensor is a more accurate option, but it is more expensive. A mechanical push-button is an option as well, but it is less accurate. Companies that develop and sell fingerprint readers have been working on this problem for a long time (because they want to make sure that the pattern their sensor is reading is on an actual finger -not a cast- and that the finger is still attached to its original owner), as far as I know there is no 100% perfect solution although although they are getting better all the time.
haren
hi there
I'm up to design a device which switches on when human body touches it.
I have a rough idea to use IR, Electrical phenomenas of body.
But don't know how to start and where to start.
help pleasez

Engineering news on Phys.org
haren said:
hi there
I'm up to design a device which switches on when human body touches it.
I have a rough idea to use IR, Electrical phenomenas of body.
But don't know how to start and where to start.
help pleasez

Welcome to the PF. Yes, you could use a near-focus PIR (passive infra-red) sensor, or a capacitive sensor, or a mechanical push-button. What can you tell us about each of those options? What are some other options?

BTW, we do not do your projects for you. Tell us what your thoughts are on how to complete this project.

If you have two small capacitors in series, they will carry a high frequency pulse stream OK provided the load is high impedance.

If you put a capacitor to ground at the junction of the two capacitors, this will reduce the signal getting through the series combination.
Now, if this capacitor is a flat metalic plate on a thin piece of dielectric with a human touching the other side of it, you will get a similar effect.

Is that enough to let you develop it yourself? Check out CMOS gates as an easy way to do this.

It is not quite clear what you are asking.
Making a sensor that switches on when a human touches it isn't very difficult.

Making a sensors that switches on only if it is a human (as opposed to someone poking it with a stick) is significantly more difficult. Companies that develop and sell fingerprint readers have been working on this problem for a long time (because they want to make sure that the pattern their sensor is reading is on an actual finger -not a cast- and that the finger is still attached to its original owner), as far as I know there is no 100% perfect solution although although they are getting better all the time.
As far as I understand they use a combination of methods: temperature, conductivity of the skin etc

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. Yes, you could use a near-focus PIR (passive infra-red) sensor, or a capacitive sensor, or a mechanical push-button. What can you tell us about each of those options? What are some other options?

BTW, we do not do your projects for you. Tell us what your thoughts are on how to complete this project.

Thank you for the reply. I'm working on both capacitive sensor and pir sensor. For PIR senser
what can be used as a lens? can a normal IR sensor be used?

I also understand that conducting nature of moisture of human body can be used to achieve the goal.
I'm trying make the switch operatable by feet too. but a wet shoe could also trigger the sensor in this... so 'human touch only' is failing in this!

This is dirt simple, if you don't care much for stability. Just cascade a few FET transistors if you touch the gate they should become conducting through the charges on your skin, I did it as a child once to turn a LED on and off, but I don't know what else will make it trigger.

Last edited:

What is the purpose of designing a human touch sensor device?

The purpose of designing a human touch sensor device is to create a device that can detect and respond to human touch. This can have various applications, such as in robotics, prosthetics, and user interfaces.

What are the key components of a human touch sensor device?

The key components of a human touch sensor device typically include touch sensors, signal processing circuitry, and output mechanisms. Touch sensors can be in the form of capacitive, resistive, or piezoelectric sensors, while the signal processing circuitry is responsible for interpreting the touch signals and providing appropriate outputs.

What are the challenges in designing a human touch sensor device?

Some of the challenges in designing a human touch sensor device include ensuring accuracy and sensitivity of touch detection, reducing noise interference, and designing for durability and reliability. Additionally, human touch can vary greatly in pressure, area, and duration, making it challenging to create a device that can accurately detect and respond to all types of touch.

What are the potential applications of a human touch sensor device?

A human touch sensor device has a wide range of potential applications, including in the fields of healthcare, gaming, and virtual reality. It can also be used in the development of smart homes and touch-sensitive surfaces for user interfaces.

How can I get help with designing a human touch sensor device?

If you need help with designing a human touch sensor device, you can reach out to other scientists or experts in the field for guidance and advice. You can also consult research articles and publications for insights and ideas, and utilize prototyping and testing methods to refine your design.