Anyone else believe in Humanism

• Thread starter Beren
  • Start date
In summary,In summary, Curry argues that traditional religion and humanistic religion have different values. He believes that the world must be made to fit man, not man the world.
Beren
Was simply wondering how many members of the forum were humanist, believed in humanism, or at least considered it. I'm a humanist, myself, and have been since reading about it in an Asimov essay about 4 years ago. What are your thoughts on humanism? What kind of humanist are you (Secular, Religious, etc.)?

Physics news on Phys.org
To fit world to man, or man to the world

Beren said:
What are your thoughts on humanism?
  • Curry, an explicit propagandist for Humanism, contrasts traditional and Humanistic religion by saying that the basis of virtue is not trust in God but "Love -- an instinct you see in every child or animal." And the contrast of the two positions is quite consistently rounded off by his dictum: "The world must be made to fit man, not man the world," (1937). Here, and in some other features, a scientifically based religion is actually closer in values to inspired religion than to modern eclectic humanism; for it considers that the universe has a lot to teach man, and that he would be absurd trying to shape it to his pygmy mind, instead of stretching his mental stature to its demands.
Raymond Cattell. A New Religion from Science: Beyondism. Section 7.3.

I am not a humanist. The very name humanism is prejudicial.

A dictum of Sentiencism

Perhaps a sentiencism could be rounded off by the dictum: "The world must be made to fit the sentient, not the sentient the world."

I am not a humanist. The very name humanism is prejudicial.

How so? Prejudical to whom?

Is Humanism prejudicial

Beren said:
How so? Prejudical to whom?
...Prejudical to the sentient non-humans.

No, I'm not a humanist. I tend to identify with any being that can suffer.

In my early 20s I went through a brief period of thinking of myself as a humanist. But as I read more essays on humanism, written by humanists, I came to realize that my views on crime and punishment are at odds with the prevailing views of humanists. I am liberal on some issues and conservative on others. To be a humanist, you are obliged (or so it seems to me, based on my reading) to be far more liberal on matters of criminality than I will ever be. For example, if there is a humanist out there somewhere who believes in capital punishment, I have not come across his/her viewpoint yet in my reading.

EDIT: fixed cruddy spelling

Last edited:
hitssquad said:
Perhaps a sentiencism could be rounded off by the dictum: "The world must be made to fit the sentient, not the sentient the world."

Well, the environment changed without warning any of our evolutionary ancestors who had to then adapt to the world (not vice versa), if I understand correctly.

1. What is humanism?

Humanism is a philosophical and ethical stance that emphasizes the value and agency of human beings, individually and collectively. It places importance on reason, compassion, and critical thinking, rather than religious or supernatural beliefs, as the basis for morality and decision-making.

2. How is humanism different from other belief systems?

Humanism differs from traditional religions in that it does not rely on the concept of a deity or higher power. It also places a strong emphasis on the importance of human potential and progress, rather than focusing on an afterlife or divine destiny.

3. Is humanism a religion?

While humanism does have elements of a belief system, it is not considered a religion in the traditional sense. Humanism does not have a set of dogmas or rituals, and it does not require adherence to a specific set of beliefs or practices.

4. Can you be religious and also believe in humanism?

Yes, it is possible to hold humanist beliefs while also practicing a religion. Many people who identify as humanists also follow a religion, but they may interpret its teachings through a humanist lens.

5. How does humanism impact society?

Humanism promotes values such as equality, justice, and human rights. As such, it can have a significant impact on society by promoting empathy and compassion, and advocating for social and political change to create a more fair and just world for all individuals.