Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Humanism

1. May 13, 2004 #1
    Was simply wondering how many members of the forum were humanist, believed in humanism, or at least considered it. I'm a humanist, myself, and have been since reading about it in an Asimov essay about 4 years ago. What are your thoughts on humanism? What kind of humanist are you (Secular, Religious, etc.)?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2004 #2
    To fit world to man, or man to the world

• Curry, an explicit propagandist for Humanism, contrasts traditional and Humanistic religion by saying that the basis of virtue is not trust in God but "Love -- an instinct you see in every child or animal." And the contrast of the two positions is quite consistently rounded off by his dictum: "The world must be made to fit man, not man the world," (1937). Here, and in some other features, a scientifically based religion is actually closer in values to inspired religion than to modern eclectic humanism; for it considers that the universe has a lot to teach man, and that he would be absurd trying to shape it to his pygmy mind, instead of stretching his mental stature to its demands.
    Raymond Cattell. A New Religion from Science: Beyondism. Section 7.3.

4. May 13, 2004 #3
    I am not a humanist. The very name humanism is prejudicial.

5. May 13, 2004 #4
    A dictum of Sentiencism

Perhaps a sentiencism could be rounded off by the dictum: "The world must be made to fit the sentient, not the sentient the world."

6. May 13, 2004 #5
    How so? Prejudical to whom?

7. May 13, 2004 #6
    Is Humanism prejudicial

...Prejudical to the sentient non-humans.

8. May 13, 2004 #7
    No, I'm not a humanist. I tend to identify with any being that can suffer.

9. May 13, 2004 #8

Janitor

Science Advisor

In my early 20s I went through a brief period of thinking of myself as a humanist. But as I read more essays on humanism, written by humanists, I came to realize that my views on crime and punishment are at odds with the prevailing views of humanists. I am liberal on some issues and conservative on others. To be a humanist, you are obliged (or so it seems to me, based on my reading) to be far more liberal on matters of criminality than I will ever be. For example, if there is a humanist out there somewhere who believes in capital punishment, I have not come across his/her viewpoint yet in my reading.

EDIT: fixed cruddy spelling

Last edited: May 18, 2004
  10. May 13, 2004 #9

Well, the environment changed with out warning any of our evolutionary ancestors who had to then adapt to the world (not vice versa), if I understand correctly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?