Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Humans Breathe Like Fish

1. Jun 7, 2005 #1
    Just curious to see what some of the people here think of this

http://www.isracast.com/tech_news/310505_tech.htm

Seems legitimate and fairly logical, just wondering if it would be efficienct.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2005 #2

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I will be glad if someone opines about this energy consumption. I think one kilo of Lithium battery each hour of diving could be too much and very expensive.

4. Jun 8, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

A kilogram lithium battery? Probably cost a good $400...

5. Jun 9, 2005 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was my first thought as well. The power load is too high.

6. Jun 10, 2005 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

If its rechargeable it might not be that bad. My first reaction though was that it would be difficult to swim with a centrifuge on your back.

7. Jun 10, 2005 #6

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I keep on thinking that battery would be:

i) too heavy
    ii) too expensive
    iii) it would spend a very large time for recharging.

1 Kilo of Litium!!! My cell phone has a battery (I think it is Ni), they are too expensive and it is very small!!.

8. Jun 10, 2005 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It says a 1 kilo battery, not 1 kilo of lithum (not sure how much lithium is in a 1 kilo battery). I have a battery for my camcorder that's bigger than that - it cost about $50 and will run my camcorder for like 10 hours.

9. Jun 10, 2005 #8

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wonder what the water flow and power consumption rates are for something like that.

10. Jul 5, 2005 #9

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps they can build an efficient centrifuge using MEMs technology, that would cut down on the battery size requirement. :biggrin:

11. Jul 5, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't tell from the diagram -- is that flexible air bag housed within a rigid casing of some sort? Otherwise, won't the water pressure keep forcing all the air right back out of it?

I also don't know much about the ratio of gases dissolved in water at differing depths. Is it uniform throughout, or would a different gas mixture be extracted depending on depth? I'm also wondering why Navy divers would use this. Don't their divers use special mixes of gases to reduce the risk of decompression sickness and nitrogen narcossis in longer duration or deeper dives than recreational divers?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?