Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Humvee driving in Iraq

1. Feb 11, 2007 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

American soldiers plow through rush hour traffic in Baghdad. There's a swearword at the very end, so sensitive folks, cover your ears.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

And the US government expects to be 'winning the hearts and minds' of Iraqis while US soldiers are running people off the road. :rolleyes: :yuck:

4. Feb 11, 2007 #3

Evo

Just one question, where are the American soldiers?

5. Feb 11, 2007 #4
    They are supposed to be the drivers I guess. But maybe they do have a good reason to rush. Maybe they are driving a pregnant mother to the hospital ! :uhh:

6. Feb 11, 2007 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The YouTube poster 'splains it like this:

7. Feb 11, 2007 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uh oh, this has been debunked. It is actually video taken in S Central L.A.

8. Feb 11, 2007 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

9. Feb 11, 2007 #8
    I dont blame them one bit. Id smash the hell outa every car in my way. They are beeping, are the people deaf?

10. Feb 11, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There sure are a lot of jaywalkers in Bagdad! :bugeye:

It has to be a tough situation...how do they know if someone is just driving slow or if they're purposely trying to obstruct the road to slow them down and make them a target?

Though, are you sure they're American? At the end, they're speaking English, but it doesn't sound like any accent I've ever heard in the US. About 3/4 of the way through the clip, they say something else that I can't even understand the accent sounds so thick. Can anyone else place the accent?

11. Feb 11, 2007 #10
    How else can you free people?

12. Feb 11, 2007 #11
    Sound like normal American to me.

You assume that everyone is trying to obstruct you and drive exactly how they are driving.

:rofl: No one even cares. The people on the side walk are about to get run over and dont even flinch....classic 3rd world driving.

AHAHAHH I just say the beginning of office space when hes stuck in traffic. Ah, the irony.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  13. Feb 11, 2007 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was actually thinking Santa Monica. I've nearly been mowed down several times in the crosswalks.

14. Feb 11, 2007 #13

Evo

I've been in a car in downtown Palermo, Italy. I wish I could get my hands on a video of that, you just would not believe it. It's like bumper cars with an attitude. I didn't stop screaming the whole time.

Then they park 4 deep in the street and actually walk over all the blocked cars to get to the sidewalk, that is if there aren't cars already parked on the sidewalk.

I noticed the same thing with the accent that Moonbear did. Although it would be believable that Amercian soldiers are forced to drive like this in order not to be ambushed. I can't blame the soldiers.

15. Feb 11, 2007 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The reaction of the drivers and pedestrians to just take their time in spite of them playing bumper cars suggests this is pretty commonplace there.

16. Feb 11, 2007 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

17. Feb 11, 2007 #16

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think I'd rather get bumped aside by a Humvee than have one sitting next to me in traffic. The odds of having someone take a shot at them at any given time might be fairly small, but there's a set upper limit to the damage getting bumped can do, as opposed to being next to a Humvee at the wrong time.

18. Feb 11, 2007 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

19. Feb 11, 2007 #18
    This whole war disgusts me

20. Feb 11, 2007 #19

Evo

Are there other wars you approve of? Think back to what has happened in other wars. This war surely has less going on due to media coverage. Doesn't mean that stupid people don't do stupid things. Also, this seemed staged, a gag, it was just too hokey. If it was real, they will be tried for their stupidity, as they should be. No one would condone such activity.

Previous war crimes were much more heinous and usually went unpunished.

21. Feb 11, 2007 #20
    Whats staged the humvee clip? Im pretty sure they actually do drive like that. They are not going to sit around so someone can shoot RPG's at their humvee.

I think the driver was being really nice. I would move them much harder if I were behind the wheel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?