Hundreds Dead in Powerful Asian Earthquake

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earthquake
In summary: It hit at 8:50am local time, northeast of Islamabad, Pakistan, in the forested mountains of Pakistani Kashmir. The damage and casualties are expected to be massive, with villages reduced to rubble and landslides burying entire communities. The Pakistani army is reporting that 1,000 people are feared dead and the U.S. Geological Survey confirms the magnitude of the quake. It has also been felt in Afghanistan. This is being described as the worst earthquake in recent times and a national tragedy. Our thoughts are with our members and all those affected by this devastating event. In summary, a 7.6-magnitude earthquake in Pakistan and India has caused widespread damage and casualties, with villages reduced to rubble and landslides burying
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
By CHRISTOPHER TORCHIA, Associated Press Writer

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - A powerful 7.6-magnitude earthquake reduced villages to rubble in Pakistan and India on Saturday, killing more than 160 people and injuring hundreds. Pakistan's army described the damage as widespread and said it included villages buried in quake-induced landslides.

Pakistan's Geo television quoted Maj. Gen. Shaukat Sultan, the Pakistani army's chief spokesman, as saying 1,000 people were feared dead. Pakistani army officials who flew over quake-hit areas reported seeing hundreds of devastated homes in villages directly north of the capital Islamabad.

"The damage and casualties could be massive and it is a national tragedy," Sultan told The Associated Press. "The is the worst earthquake in recent times."

The U.S. Geological Survey said on its Web site the quake hit at 8:50 a.m. local time and had a magnitude of 7.6. It was centered about 60 miles northeast of Islamabad in the forested mountains of Pakistani Kashmir. The quake was also felt in Afghanistan.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051008/ap_on_re_as/pakistan_quake

We have a number of members in Pakistan and India. I hope all are OK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Indian_subcontinent_earthquake

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
We have a number of members in Pakistan and India. I hope all are OK.
Indeed. 7.6 is an extremely large quake.

The news of the powerful earthquake in Pakistan and India is truly devastating. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those who have been affected by this tragedy. It is heartbreaking to hear about the loss of life and the widespread damage caused by the earthquake. I can only imagine the fear and chaos that must have ensued during the quake and its aftermath.

I am glad to hear that our members in Pakistan and India are safe. To those who have lost loved ones, homes, and livelihoods, I offer my deepest condolences. The road to recovery will be long and difficult, but I have no doubt that the resilience and strength of the people in these affected areas will prevail.

I also want to commend the efforts of the Pakistani army and other rescue teams who are working tirelessly to help those in need. Their bravery and dedication in the face of such a disaster is truly admirable.

Let us all come together to support and assist those affected by this earthquake in any way we can. Every little bit helps in times like these. May we all stand in solidarity with our brothers and sisters in Pakistan and India during this difficult time.

1. What caused the powerful earthquake in Asia?

The powerful earthquake in Asia was caused by tectonic plates shifting in the Earth's crust. This movement, also known as plate tectonics, is a natural and ongoing process that can result in earthquakes.

2. How many people were killed in the earthquake?

As of now, it is estimated that hundreds of people have died in the earthquake. However, the exact number of casualties is still being determined and may change as rescue and recovery efforts continue.

3. Will there be aftershocks following the initial earthquake?

Yes, it is common for powerful earthquakes to have aftershocks, which are smaller earthquakes that occur after the initial quake. These aftershocks can continue for days, weeks, or even months after the main earthquake.

4. What is the magnitude of the earthquake?

The magnitude of the earthquake was measured using the Richter scale, which is a scale that measures the energy released by an earthquake. As of now, the magnitude of this earthquake has been reported as a 7.0.

5. Is there a way to predict when and where earthquakes will occur?

Unfortunately, there is currently no reliable way to predict when and where earthquakes will occur. Scientists and researchers are constantly studying and monitoring tectonic activity in order to better understand and potentially predict earthquakes in the future.