Hundreds die in Israel raid on Gaza

• News
  • Thread starter Abdelrahman
  • Start date
tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm coming up empty on "Gaza embargo medial", "Gaza embargo full", and stuff like it. See you Dec 31, maybe."
I think you're running on empty, Phrak! :smile:

I get 92,200 hits for Gaza embargo medical, and 1,160,000 for Gaza embargo full.

Get some sleep! :zzz:

seycyrus
Running a blocade is running a blocade. It doesn't matter if the Pope is on board, it is still considered a threat.

What do people expect? That the declarations of the blocade runners be taken at face value? As if...

"Sergeant, stop that boat on the right. The captain informed us that they are carrying bombs and mortars. But the one on the left is ok, they told us they are just carrying milk and baby food, it can go through."

Ludicrous!

This is obvious. There is simply not enough manpower to search every vessel that approaches a port that is blocaded.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
One will find little or no sympathy for Hamas in the west.

Why? Perhaps because of their violent and criminal activities.

Here is a timeline on the Israel-Hamas conflict, which was exacerbated by the kidnapping of the Israeli solider, Gilad Shalit, by Hamas in June 2006.
TIMELINE: Israeli-Hamas violence since Gaza takeover
http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKTRE4BS1M520081229
(Reuters) - Israeli warplanes pounded the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip on Monday, the third day of an air offensive that has killed more than 300 Palestinians. Here is a timeline since Hamas seized the Gaza Strip in 2007:

June 14, 2007 - Hamas seizes Gaza after overpowering Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas's Fatah forces in a week of fighting in which at least 100 people are killed.

-- Abbas dismisses Hamas-led unity government and appoints a Fatah-backed administration, led by Salam Fayyad, a technocratic economist favored by the West.

-- Israel and the new Palestinian government open formal contacts. The Jewish state tightens a blockade of Gaza.
. . . .

Israel-Hamas violence disrupts Gaza truce
http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSTRE4A37B520081105
By Nidal al-Mughrabi
GAZA (Nov 5, 2008 - Reuters) - Hamas fired dozens of rockets at Israel on Wednesday after Israeli forces killed six Palestinian militants in an eruption of violence that disrupted a four-month-old truce along the Gaza Strip's frontier.
. . . .
On Tuesday, Israeli airstrikes killed five militants and Israeli soldiers shot dead a gunman during an incursion into the Gaza Strip. Israeli forces quit the coastal enclave in 2005 and Hamas took control after routing Fatah forces two years later.

The Israeli military said the aircraft went into action after militants attacked soldiers who entered Gaza to destroy a tunnel that Hamas had planned to use to kidnap Israeli soldiers.
. . . .
Hamas-led gunmen tunneled into Israel from Gaza in June 2006 and seized Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, who is still being held at a secret location in the territory.

Hamas has offered to release him in exchange for hundreds of Palestinians in Israeli prisons, including militants who killed Israelis. Israel has not agreed to the terms.

"We are all exploiting the calm, and its extension, in order to find the way to return Gilad Shalit home," Barak said.
So let Hamas renounce violence, stop firing rockets and shooting into Israel, and stop engaging in criminal activity.

Alfi
Enough!
I have read 13 pages of this back and forth 'who's at fault' thread.
When does 'Thou shall NOT kill' or the equivalent in what ever ancient book you refer to, come into play in this humans killing humans thing.

Just a quick question
If I am against ALL organized religions.?..( And I am!)
Does that automatically make me a anti-semitic?
Is this one of those 'you are with the jews or you are a anti-semitic' ?
In that case;
I AM anti-semitic! I AM anti-idiot! I AM anti-religion.

I just don't get it. Is this whole thing just a case of ' my invisible god can kick your invisible god's butt?

Or just a pack of criminals on every side?

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Burt Bacharach said:
What's it all about, Alfie?
Is it just for the moment we live?
What's it all about when you sort it out, Alfie?
Are we meant to take more than we give
Or are we meant to be kind?
And if only fools are kind, Alfie,
Then I guess it's wise to be cruel.
And if life belongs only to the strong, Alfie,
What will you lend on an old golden rule?
As sure as I believe there's a heaven above, Alfie,
I know there's something much more,
Something even non-believers can believe in.
I believe in love, Alfie.
Without true love we just exist, Alfie.
Until you find the love you've missed you're nothing, Alfie.
When you walk let your heart lead the way
And you'll find love any day, Alfie, Alfie
Just a quick question
If I am against ALL organized religions.?..( And I am!) …
ah, but are you against the people who believe in those religions? :wink:

Enough!
I have read 13 pages of this back and forth 'who's at fault' thread.
When does 'Thou shall NOT kill' or the equivalent in what ever ancient book you refer to, come into play in this humans killing humans thing.

Just a quick question
If I am against ALL organized religions.?..( And I am!)
Does that automatically make me a anti-semitic?
Is this one of those 'you are with the jews or you are a anti-semitic' ?
In that case;
I AM anti-semitic! I AM anti-idiot! I AM anti-religion.

I just don't get it. Is this whole thing just a case of ' my invisible god can kick your invisible god's butt?

Or just a pack of criminals on every side?
If you are so ill informed, don't post. I see no point to your post. Please take it down. Its a waste of our time reading.

seycyrus
I AM anti-idiot!...
You must make a judgement call on who's behavior is the most idiotic. It is a far easier decision to simply label *everyone* as idiotic than to sift through the evidence.

It seems that you are looking for a reason to condemn religion and using the fact that wars have been fought for religous reasons as a basis for condemnation.

Using your logic, religion is not the greatest detriment to mankind, but *freedom* is.

How many wars have been fought, how many lives lost due to this mythical concept?

*Freedom* from oppression, *freedom* from tyranny, *freedom* from taxes, *freedom* to travel here or to live there. When shall we as a human race learn to cast aside this most evil of concepts? Freedom-Bah!

:tongue2:

You three take the talk about religion somewhere else. Cut it out now, please.

Alfi
If you are so ill informed, don't post. I see no point to your post. Please take it down. Its a waste of our time reading.
Thank you for the song. ??? Just for the play on my name? Had to dig deep eh. whATEVER.
I see no point to your post. Please take it down. Its a waste of our time reading.

SO ...
religion and RELIGIOUS beliefs have no place is this discussion of this WAR.
Does that imply that it is just a criminal act and a conflict that the world courts should have a say in?
ALL the combatants don't believe the teachings they received as young people?
That has nothing to do with the murders of late.

I don't think the issues are separate.I believe, Religion = exclusion = war
I am against religion, I am against war.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Time out!

Evo
Mentor
For one thing, it is wrong to just indiscriminately attack people on international waters.

By all first hand accounts of the passengers of the ship, no warning was issued, and they were hit in the night by a ship who had turned it's lights off. Meanwhile the other ships surrounding them had their lights on. Unless the CNN reporter is a lier, then it seams near impossible that they were not intentionally rammed.
The boat was sent radio messages to not enter Gaza, but the boat did not respond.

The "stories" from the captain and people on board are wildly conflicting.

According to the CNN reporter on board
Penhaul said an Israeli patrol boat shined its spotlight on the Dignity, and then it and another patrol boat shadowed the Dignity for about a half hour before the collision.
And seriously, does anyone believe that the Israeli's would do this without radioing the boat and then "ram them" for no apparent reason. That's utterly ridiculous.

But Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman Yigal Palmor denied that and said the patrol boat had warned the vessel not to proceed to Gaza because it is a closed military area.

Palmor said there was no response to the radio message, and the vessel then tried to out-maneuver the Israeli patrol boat, leading to the collision.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/12/30/gaza.aid.boat/index.html

So, there were three Israeli boats, that has been documented in several credible news reports. But then the "Free Gaza" protest group that owns the boat put out a statement
The organisation sent out an urgent statement on Tuesday saying the vessel had been surrounded by at least six Israeli military ships.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7805075.stm

Another ridiculous report had a claim of 11 boats. Oh and then gunfire was added. There was no report of gunfire in the first CNN report. Pretty soon I guess planes dropping bombs around them will be added?