1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hund's rule

1. Mar 17, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using Hund's rule, find the fundamental term of an atom whose last incomplete subshell contains 3 electrons d. Do the same with 4 electrons p.

2. Relevant equations
    The 3 Hund's rules.

3. The attempt at a solution
    By fundamental term I'm guessing they mean the ground state term.
    Despite knowing Hund's rules, I don't know how I can start the problem without having the term symbols of the atom(s).
    I somehow made an attempt, for the 3 electrons d.
    Since the subshell is d, it means each electrons will have the quantum numbers [itex]l=2[/itex]. So that [itex]L=6[/itex]. Also, since there are 3 electrons, [itex]S=3/2[/itex]. Thus J goes from [itex]L-S=9/2[/itex] to [itex]L+S=15/2[/itex].
    That d shell is half filled so that J will equal to [itex]9/2[/itex] for the ground state.
    L could in principle for 6 (but in practice no?!), this would make my answer as [itex]^{16}H_{9/2}[/itex]. Which is -I'm 100% sure-, totally wrong.
    What I don't understand is that L seems to go from 0 to 6 as if one adds the [itex]m_l[/itex] 's of the 3 electrons instead of the [itex]3 l[/itex]'s.
    Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2012 #2
    By Hund's zeroth rule, all the other shells are filled, so they contribute nothing to spin or angular momentum.

There are 5 d orbitals and 3 p orbitals. Hund's first rule is that they have the maximum spin allowed for these shells following the exclusion principle. Hence, for d3, s=3/2, and for p4, the spin is 1/2+1/2+1/2-1/2 = 1.

Hund's second rule is that L is the maximum for given S in each shell. d's separate orbitals have L = 2, 1, 0, -1, -2, while p's are 1, 0, -1. Using what we found in the last step, d3 has L = 2+1+0 = 3, and P4 has 1+0+-1+1 = 1.

Hund's third rule is that J = L+S for more-than-half filled shells, and J=|L-S| for less-than-half filled shells. (notice that both equations give the same answer for exactly half-filled shells). Hence for d3, J = |3/2-3|=3/2, and for p4, J=1+1=2.

In the "Hieroglyphic" notation, these would be:

d3 = 4F3/2
    p4 = 3P2

Edit: in retrospect, it seems like the source of your confusion is that there are actually 4 Hund's rules! The zeroth rule is crucial and allows you to neglect everything besides the outermost shells. Also, remember the exclusion principle: there can only be two electrons per orbital, and if there are two, their spins must be antiparallel.

Edit 2: corrections are in bold. Now it should make sense.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  4. Mar 19, 2012 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thank you, I was not expecting a full and detailed answer (in fact the rules of the forum forbids this!) but I have nothing else to say than a big thank you, that helped me to understand a lot. I'm lacking books on this topic.
    I've carefully been through your sentences and I've a small doubt.
    Why did you consider that for the d³ electrons the shell was more than half filled and for the p⁴ electrons it was less than half filled? Except this point, I understood everything you made, thanks to your comments.

5. Mar 19, 2012 #4
    I think trying to answer your question without giving the full answer would be much more trouble--the best way I could possibly explain this would be by working an example for you, and this is actually a much better example problem than I could think of easily. Plus, a good example would include both a more-than-half-filled example and a less-than-half-filled example, like this one. Hund's rules are one of the most heuristic things you learn in QM--I personally have never heard a satisfactory theoretical discussion of them. So please forgive me, Gods of PF.

Oops, I think I made a typo above. I had "more" and "less" reversed.
    Anyway, p shells have 3 orbitals. Two electrons can inhabit each orbital. Thus there can be at most 6 electrons in a P orbital. 4>6/2. So p4 is MORE than half filled, so you use J=L+S

I'll go back and find my typo so the post makes sense.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  6. Mar 19, 2012 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thank you for everything. You left everything as clear as possible to me. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook