Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hunter's images stir Bigfoot debate

1. Oct 31, 2007 #1
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071028/ap_on_fe_st/odd_bigfoot_in_pa

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2007 #2
    Even though i've always been a little skeptical of the Bigfoot reports, that doesn't look like any kind of bear i've ever seen.

4. Oct 31, 2007 #3
    That picture is astonishing because it looks exactly like a chimp, which shouldn't be roaming around loose in the US. I imagine someone's illegal pet escaped.

5. Oct 31, 2007 #4

turbo

Gold Member

My thoughts exactly. It's a chimp, not a bear. That's the very first thing that came to mind when I opened the linked image.

6. Oct 31, 2007 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Possible. Though, I've also never seen a bear without a full coat of fur to know what a mangy one might look like if a lot of that fur were missing, especially if it were on the thin side due to long-term illness. Hard to tell when you can't see the head.

Ah, here's a picture of a bear with mange...yep, matches the photo in the story.
    http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/PICKOVER/pc/nakedbear.html

(Keep it away from me! I don't want to be a mangy moonbear! :biggrin:)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  7. Oct 31, 2007 #6
    it looks like a bear throwing up ----(the pads of the hind feet look like a bear's)

8. Oct 31, 2007 #7
    That does look a lot like whatever is in the hunters picture. The only thing that keep standing out to me, is the length of the legs relative to the body.

9. Oct 31, 2007 #8
    Yeah, that picture puts "mangy bear" squarely in the running. I didn't realize their back legs were that long.

There's something about the way the limbs are bending in the hunter's pic that still says "chimp", though.

10. Oct 31, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I see what you're talking about, but think it's just the angle of the photo giving that illusion.

11. Oct 31, 2007 #10
    Absolutely possible. Odds are way in favor of a bear, too. Still, chimps happen.

12. Oct 31, 2007 #11
    At first glance I thought it looked more like a chimp. After taking a closer look the front leg and head posture looks more like a bear. The coat isn't easy to see but the rear appears to have more hair than I would expect on a chimp. Not that I've had a chance to view many chimps from that angle.

13. Oct 31, 2007 #12
    well --its got four legs, a back, and a seat (a butt area)--a new species?--a chear?

(a cross between a chimp and bear)

14. Oct 31, 2007 #13

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's a bigfoot research organisation?

15. Oct 31, 2007 #14
    There were other bears in the group. So if it's a chimp, then we have an interesting group, don't we?

*waits for pic of lion cub, meerkat and warthog joining group*

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  16. Oct 31, 2007 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Been spending a bit of time in the Disney thread, huh? :biggrin:

17. Oct 31, 2007 #16

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I would never in a zillion years have conceded that it was a bear - until I saw Moonbear's photo.

Man that bear is nightmarish! I had no idea they looked like that under the fur.

18. Oct 31, 2007 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:grumpy: That's the last time I'll send you nude photos of me. :tongue:

19. Oct 31, 2007 #18
    Hm. Gives a new meaning to the name Moonbear.:biggrin::rofl:

20. Nov 1, 2007 #19
    Wow I didn't realise the bigfoot actually was a myth I just thought it was a fun movie to watch when I was a kid!! Always wanted to meet a bigfoot!!
    They should've taken a clear photo, to me it looks like a prehistoric relative of homosapiens maybe it's an australopithecus anamensis.... Or someone dressed up in an awsome halloween costume.... hmmm

21. Nov 1, 2007 #20
    Sightings of upright walking hairy critters go way back. Follow the link in my signature and read about Dr. Baddour and the Zoobies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?