Hunter's images stir Bigfoot debate

• Thread starter B. Elliott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Images
In summary, this photo of a bigfoot-like creature has many people thinking it could be a chimp, bear, or even a costume.
B. Elliott
RIDGWAY, Pa. - It's furry and walks on all fours. Beyond that, about the only thing certain about the critter photographed by a hunter's camera is that some people have gotten the notion it could be a Sasquatch, or bigfoot. Others say it's just a bear with a bad skin infection.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071028/ap_on_fe_st/odd_bigfoot_in_pa

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Even though I've always been a little skeptical of the Bigfoot reports, that doesn't look like any kind of bear I've ever seen.

That picture is astonishing because it looks exactly like a chimp, which shouldn't be roaming around loose in the US. I imagine someone's illegal pet escaped.

My thoughts exactly. It's a chimp, not a bear. That's the very first thing that came to mind when I opened the linked image.

zoobyshoe said:
That picture is astonishing because it looks exactly like a chimp, which shouldn't be roaming around loose in the US. I imagine someone's illegal pet escaped.

Possible. Though, I've also never seen a bear without a full coat of fur to know what a mangy one might look like if a lot of that fur were missing, especially if it were on the thin side due to long-term illness. Hard to tell when you can't see the head.

Ah, here's a picture of a bear with mange...yep, matches the photo in the story.
http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/PICKOVER/pc/nakedbear.html

(Keep it away from me! I don't want to be a mangy moonbear! :biggrin:)

Last edited:
it looks like a bear throwing up ----(the pads of the hind feet look like a bear's)

Moonbear said:
Possible. Though, I've also never seen a bear without a full coat of fur to know what a mangy one might look like if a lot of that fur were missing, especially if it were on the thin side due to long-term illness. Hard to tell when you can't see the head.

Ah, here's a picture of a bear with mange...yep, matches the photo in the story.

(Keep it away from me! I don't want to be a mangy moonbear! :biggrin:)

That does look a lot like whatever is in the hunters picture. The only thing that keep standing out to me, is the length of the legs relative to the body.

Moonbear said:
Yeah, that picture puts "mangy bear" squarely in the running. I didn't realize their back legs were that long.

There's something about the way the limbs are bending in the hunter's pic that still says "chimp", though.

zoobyshoe said:
There's something about the way the limbs are bending in the hunter's pic that still says "chimp", though.
I see what you're talking about, but think it's just the angle of the photo giving that illusion.

Moonbear said:
I see what you're talking about, but think it's just the angle of the photo giving that illusion.

Absolutely possible. Odds are way in favor of a bear, too. Still, chimps happen.

At first glance I thought it looked more like a chimp. After taking a closer look the front leg and head posture looks more like a bear. The coat isn't easy to see but the rear appears to have more hair than I would expect on a chimp. Not that I've had a chance to view many chimps from that angle.

well --its got four legs, a back, and a seat (a butt area)--a new species?--a chear?

(a cross between a chimp and bear)

There's a bigfoot research organisation?

There were other bears in the group. So if it's a chimp, then we have an interesting group, don't we?

*waits for pic of lion cub, meerkat and warthog joining group*

Last edited:
Mallignamius said:
There were other bears in the group. So if it's a chimp, then we have an interesting group, don't we?

*waits for pic of lion cub, meerkat and warthog joining group*

Been spending a bit of time in the Disney thread, huh? :biggrin:

I would never in a zillion years have conceded that it was a bear - until I saw Moonbear's photo.

Man that bear is nightmarish! I had no idea they looked like that under the fur.

DaveC426913 said:
I would never in a zillion years have conceded that it was a bear - until I saw Moonbear's photo.

Man that bear is nightmarish! I had no idea they looked like that under the fur.

:grumpy: That's the last time I'll send you nude photos of me. :tongue:

Hm. Gives a new meaning to the name Moonbear.:biggrin::rofl:

Wow I didn't realize the bigfoot actually was a myth I just thought it was a fun movie to watch when I was a kid! Always wanted to meet a bigfoot!
They should've taken a clear photo, to me it looks like a prehistoric relative of homosapiens maybe it's an australopithecus anamensis... Or someone dressed up in an awsome halloween costume... hmmm

rhuthwaite said:
Wow I didn't realize the bigfoot actually was a myth I just thought it was a fun movie to watch when I was a kid! Always wanted to meet a bigfoot!
They should've taken a clear photo, to me it looks like a prehistoric relative of homosapiens maybe it's an australopithecus anamensis... Or someone dressed up in an awsome halloween costume... hmmm
Sightings of upright walking hairy critters go way back. Follow the link in my signature and read about Dr. Baddour and the Zoobies.

rhuthwaite said:
They should've taken a clear photo,

Sasquatches will only pose for grainy photos in dim lighting, otherwise you'd know they were just mangy bears looking for fame and fortune by posing as a Sasquatch. :biggrin:

"I think Bigfoot is blurry. That's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault: Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra-scary to me, because there's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside."
- Mitch Hedberg

morphism said:
"I think Bigfoot is blurry. That's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault: Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra-scary to me, because there's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside."
- Mitch Hedberg

He suffers from a merely half-collapsed wave function. It'll never completely collapse till someone gets a good look at him, but they can't get a good look at him cause he's roaming around half-collapsed and too blurry to get a good look at.

1. What exactly are "Hunter's images" and what do they show?

"Hunter's images" refer to a series of photographs released by a hunter in Pennsylvania that allegedly show a Bigfoot or Sasquatch creature in the woods. The images show a large, dark figure standing among the trees.

2. How has the release of these images sparked a Bigfoot debate?

The release of these images has sparked a debate among Bigfoot believers and skeptics about the authenticity of the photos and the existence of the creature itself. Some believe the images are proof of Bigfoot's existence, while others argue that they could easily be hoaxed or misinterpreted.

3. Has there been any scientific analysis of these images?

As of now, there has not been any official scientific analysis of the images. However, some experts in the field of cryptozoology (the study of hidden animals) have examined the photos and offered their opinions on their authenticity.

4. How does this debate fit into the larger discussion of Bigfoot sightings and evidence?

The debate over these images is just one small part of the larger discussion surrounding Bigfoot sightings and evidence. There have been countless reported sightings of the creature, as well as alleged footprints, hair samples, and other forms of evidence. However, the scientific community remains divided on the existence of Bigfoot due to the lack of concrete evidence.

5. What impact could the validation of these images have on the scientific community?

If these images were proven to be authentic, it could have a significant impact on the scientific community. It would open up a whole new area of study and research into the existence of Bigfoot and other cryptids. It could also lead to new methods and technologies for studying and documenting elusive creatures in the wild.