Hunters moon in USA and Canada

• Thread starter cnh1995
  • Start date
cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

My facebook timeline was showing a news which said "North America and Canada witnessed two Suns in the sky". (I know fb is not a reliable source for such information).Because of the change in orbits, the moon rises and the Sun sets at the same time and the moon reflects the sunlight so bright that it appears as another Sun. I read in an article that the time between sunset and moonrise is shorter for Hunter's moon. But do they both appear at the same time like in these pictures?
images (3).jpg

Is this true? I have a limited knowledge of astronomy, so I don't understand this change of orbit thing. From what I read on the internet, some news reports say it's true while some say it's fake.

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
the moon rises and the Sun sets at the same time and the moon reflects the sunlight so bright that it appears as another Sun
No way. Moon can reflect the light from the Sun only when it is in the sky (as seen from the Earth) on the opposite side the Sun is. Very simple and basic geometry.

img039.png

cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Very simple and basic geometry.
That was very stupid of me!o0) Don't know why I couldn't see that...
Thanks!

Borek
Mentor
That was very stupid of me!
After all my yesterdays blunders (not necessarily related to PF) I am glad to hear others have weaker days too :wink:

Zylia
So what could be the explanation then? Just a photo hoax?

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just a photo hoax?

yup just more garbage, just like that other "photo" that was doing the rounds for several yrs on FB and other places of the Sun and the full moon between 2 palm trees, it, as the one above are impossible

Dave

Zylia
yup just more garbage, just like that other "photo" that was doing the rounds for several yrs on FB and other places of the Sun and the full moon between 2 palm trees, it, as the one above are impossible

Dave
Thank you Davel!

Zylia
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Zylia
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I had your name wrong in the first reply

ohhh I didn't even notice haha
nice to meet you, enjoy your time on PF :smile:

Dave

Zylia
ohhh I didn't even notice haha
nice to meet you, enjoy your time on PF :smile:

Dave
Nice to meet you too..and thanks again for the speedy reply. This settled an argument between me and my "know-it-all" husband, and I'm ashamed to say I lost..again. Next time, I'm coming to the forum before I reply to anything he says😬

cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
My facebook timeline was showing a news which said "North America and Canada witnessed two Suns in the sky". (I know fb is not a reliable source for such information).Because of the change in orbits, the moon rises and the Sun sets at the same time and the moon reflects the sunlight so bright that it appears as another Sun. I read in an article that the time between sunset and moonrise is shorter for Hunter's moon. But do they both appear at the same time like in these pictures?
Can't believe I was that stupid two and a half years ago!o0)

(Mods, is there a way to close this thread so nobody brings it up again?)