Hunters moon in USA and Canada

In summary, the conversation was about a Facebook post claiming that North America and Canada witnessed two Suns in the sky due to a change in orbits, causing the moon to rise and the Sun to set at the same time. However, the poster has limited knowledge about astronomy and was unsure if this was true. Another user explained that it was impossible for the moon to reflect sunlight as seen in the photos, and others agreed that it was likely a photo hoax. The conversation ended with the original poster thanking the other user for settling an argument with their partner and asking if the thread could be closed.
cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
My facebook timeline was showing a news which said "North America and Canada witnessed two Suns in the sky". (I know fb is not a reliable source for such information).Because of the change in orbits, the moon rises and the Sun sets at the same time and the moon reflects the sunlight so bright that it appears as another Sun. I read in an article that the time between sunset and moonrise is shorter for Hunter's moon. But do they both appear at the same time like in these pictures?
images (3).jpg

Is this true? I have a limited knowledge of astronomy, so I don't understand this change of orbit thing. From what I read on the internet, some news reports say it's true while some say it's fake.

Physics news on Phys.org
cnh1995 said:
the moon rises and the Sun sets at the same time and the moon reflects the sunlight so bright that it appears as another Sun

No way. Moon can reflect the light from the Sun only when it is in the sky (as seen from the Earth) on the opposite side the Sun is. Very simple and basic geometry.

img039.png

Likes russ_watters, davenn and cnh1995
Borek said:
Very simple and basic geometry.
That was very stupid of me!o0) Don't know why I couldn't see that...
Thanks!

cnh1995 said:
That was very stupid of me!

After all my yesterdays blunders (not necessarily related to PF) I am glad to hear others have weaker days too :wink:

Likes cnh1995
So what could be the explanation then? Just a photo hoax?

Zylia said:
Just a photo hoax?
yup just more garbage, just like that other "photo" that was doing the rounds for several yrs on FB and other places of the Sun and the full moon between 2 palm trees, it, as the one above are impossibleDave

davenn said:
yup just more garbage, just like that other "photo" that was doing the rounds for several yrs on FB and other places of the Sun and the full moon between 2 palm trees, it, as the one above are impossibleDave
Thank you Davel!

Likes davenn
Zylia said:
Thank you Davel!
Sorry Dave

Zylia said:
Sorry Dave

sorry for what ?

davenn said:
sorry for what ?
I had your name wrong in the first reply

Zylia said:
I had your name wrong in the first reply
ohhh I didn't even notice haha
nice to meet you, enjoy your time on PF :smile:Dave

davenn said:
ohhh I didn't even notice haha
nice to meet you, enjoy your time on PF :smile:Dave
Nice to meet you too..and thanks again for the speedy reply. This settled an argument between me and my "know-it-all" husband, and I'm ashamed to say I lost..again. Next time, I'm coming to the forum before I reply to anything he says😬

Likes davenn
cnh1995 said:
My facebook timeline was showing a news which said "North America and Canada witnessed two Suns in the sky". (I know fb is not a reliable source for such information).Because of the change in orbits, the moon rises and the Sun sets at the same time and the moon reflects the sunlight so bright that it appears as another Sun. I read in an article that the time between sunset and moonrise is shorter for Hunter's moon. But do they both appear at the same time like in these pictures?
Can't believe I was that stupid two and a half years ago!o0)

(Mods, is there a way to close this thread so nobody brings it up again?)

I am
Zylia said:
Sorry Dave
I am afraid I can't do that.

Likes BillTre, russ_watters and Bystander

1. What is a Hunters Moon?

A Hunters Moon is the full moon that appears in the month of October in the Northern Hemisphere. It is also known as the Blood Moon, Sanguine Moon, or Dying Grass Moon. This moon gets its name from Native American traditions where it signaled the ideal time for hunting game animals that were preparing for winter.

2. When does the Hunters Moon occur in the USA and Canada?

The Hunters Moon usually occurs in the USA and Canada in the month of October, but it can also occur in late September or early November depending on the lunar cycle. In 2021, the Hunters Moon will occur on October 20th and will reach its peak illumination at 10:57 am EST.

3. How is the Hunters Moon different from other full moons?

The Hunters Moon is not significantly different from other full moons in terms of appearance. However, it is known to appear larger and more orange in color due to its position in the sky during this time of year. It also rises earlier in the evening, making it easier to observe.

4. Are there any cultural or spiritual significance of the Hunters Moon?

The Hunters Moon holds cultural and spiritual significance in many traditions. In addition to being associated with hunting, it is also seen as a time for reflection and honoring ancestors. Some cultures also believe that the energy of the Hunters Moon can help with manifestation and setting intentions.

5. How does the Hunters Moon affect wildlife and nature?

The Hunters Moon can have an impact on wildlife and nature as it signals the start of the winter season. Animals may start preparing for hibernation or migrating, and plants may start shedding their leaves. The moon's bright light can also affect nocturnal animals, causing changes in their behavior and activities.