Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hunting in the UK

1. Sep 23, 2010 #1

Pythagorean

Gold Member

How do people hunt for wild game in countries that don't allow gun ownership? Do they just not? Hounds are illegal now too, I thought.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

4. Sep 23, 2010 #3
    Giant mousetraps and trebuchets - it's more skillful.

5. Sep 23, 2010 #4
    I feel sorry for the people in the UK. The government pats them on the head and treats them like children when it comes to this issue. They got royally screwed with after their gun law restrictions came into place. Now they "hunt" with air rifles.

6. Sep 23, 2010 #5

apeiron

Gold Member

I'd be the last one to tout the UK as a perfect society, but as usual, a few facts might not harm the debate.

For instance....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_crime#Homicides_by_country

UK has one of the lowest gun homicide rates in the world - and 25 times lower than the US. Yet the UK still felt that was unacceptable enough to require gun law tightening.

7. Sep 23, 2010 #6
    Although to be fair the most fearsome creature they are likely to encounter is the dread badger.
    They do not have to arm themselves to defend against grizzly bears, wolves, coyotes, mountain lions and moose that Americans face on their delay commute.

8. Sep 24, 2010 #7
    What does that have to do with hunting? Once again, I will not drag yet another thread off topic.

9. Sep 24, 2010 #8
    :rofl: That's hilarious.

10. Sep 24, 2010 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

What percent of Americans come face to face with these animals daily? Almost none?

11. Sep 24, 2010 #10
    In Japan:

http://www.crowbusters.com/begart3.htm [Broken]

http://www.airies.or.jp/publication/ger/pdf/07-02-11.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  12. Sep 24, 2010 #11

apeiron

Gold Member

Err, you complained about governments treating citizens as children. So are you suggesting that UK gun laws were tightened as a result of too many animals being shot? :tongue:

I hope you can shoot straighter with your pistol than you do with your logic!

13. Sep 24, 2010 #12
    I never suggested UK laws were tightened for any reason - I simply said they were tightened, and hunters got screwed in the process.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  14. Sep 24, 2010 #13
    Okay, this affords me an opportunity to demonstrate that I hold no patronising view of superiority regarding guns and hunting in the UK. The truth is that, even before the existence of stricter gun control as a consequence of a particularly appalling incident of a mass shooting that occurred here in the UK, the ownership of guns for hunting purposes was pretty much entirely the preserve of a privileged, tiny minority. Not a few analysts have pointed out that the recent controversies over hunting with hounds has far more to do with an on-going battle between an anachronistic inherited privilege and a modern egalitarianism than it does with any genuine concern for wild foxes or considerations of the best way to control their numbers. Some analysts have also seen it as a conflict between urban and rural communities in the UK, but personally, I see more evidence in support of the former analysis.

I also perfectly well understand the history of ‘the American dream’, and of the importance of a far more open access to hunting to the American way of life. It has never been so much a part of the way of life of most ordinary Britons.

There is also a significant problem of illegal gun possession among criminal elements here in the UK, but that is a different issue.

15. Sep 24, 2010 #14

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, no you didn't, you said that "I feel sorry for the people in the UK. The government pats them on the head and treats them like children when it comes to this issue. They got royally screwed with after their gun law restrictions came into place."

Firstly, the number of people who hunt in the UK are a small minority (as a poster says above, predominantly the wealthy and upper class). Thus, the general public wasn't "royally screwed" when the government passed the firearms act of 2004. But more importantly, who needs a handgun or an automatic weapon to go hunting anyway? If you want a shotgun or a rifle then you apply for a licence and prove that you are going to do with the weapon what you claim. If people are hunting with air rifles then it is either by choice, or because they are not deemed suitable to hold a licence for more powerful and dangerous weapon. It's hardly handholding, but rather common sense.

16. Sep 24, 2010 #15

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So I guess there aren't any cities in the US?

Oh, and besides, who needs a gun to fight off a bear? :biggrin:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11401167

17. Sep 24, 2010 #16

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Nobody. Automatic weapons are sloppy for hunting, you just risk damaging your meat more (and well, that's the whole point in my case) and with handguns you're not accurate enough until you're scaring them away (which leads to more sloppy shooting).

Anyway, I don't care much for Cowboys; I was always an Indian.

18. Sep 24, 2010 #17

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Exactly, so, what's the fuss about? Gun ownership is only illegal if you don't have a licence.

19. Sep 24, 2010 #18

Pythagorean

Gold Member

a) Some nuts think they'll be able to overthrow the government with their arms (which is the point of the 2nd amendment). Unfortunately, we don't have legal access to tanks, submarines, laser satelites, biotoxins, fighter jets, bombers, paratroopers, billions of dollars, experienced soldiers that have seen a lot of combat lately, and all that other stuff the military gets...

b) Other people are concerned for their own safety. Not sure how much having a hand gun really helps out unless you're Charles Bronson (who you will never hear on the receiving end of a Chuck Norris joke). I don't want to shoot a gun in a panic in the house my family is sleeping in, personally. I don't mind getting down to it and bludgeoning somebody if I have to.

c) Cowboys like to hee haw and shoot at the sky and ride their horsies and what not.

d) people that never cared about guns watch Fox News and get excited.

20. Sep 24, 2010 #19

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Maybe I should rephrase my question. What is the fuss about in this thread? Gun ownership in the UK is only illegal if you own a gun with no licence. There is no such thing as "second amendment rights"-- you have no right to carry firearms.

(I like your point about the tanks et al, though.)

21. Sep 24, 2010 #20
    Thomas Hamilton’s guns were all legally owned and licensed, neither did he fit the profile of the type of criminal that has illegally held guns. The majority of his victims were 5 and 6 years old.

22. Sep 24, 2010 #21

Pythagorean

Gold Member

which post are you referring to? The OP? I realized by post #2 that you could own a gun with a license (not sure where I picked up my prior assumption).

23. Sep 24, 2010 #22

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Thomas Hamilton didn't necessarily require a gun to do terrible things.

What I'm more worried about, in terms of gun availability, is impulsive people that don't realize the magnitude of power they have strapped to their hip until it's too late... or the people raised to carry guns for killing humans (gang life).

But I don't know... getting stabbed or bludgeoned to death doesn't sound much funner.

24. Sep 24, 2010 #23
    He couldn't have generated so much misery in such a short space of time without them.

I accept that his is an unusual case, not really demonstrative of demographics. But it gives the lie to the idea that requiring guns to be licensed is any kind of protection against the consequences of wide spread ownership.

25. Sep 24, 2010 #24

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't see how this (a) has anything to do with the OP and (b) is a relevant point against legal gun ownership. The Dunblane massacre was before the current laws on handgun ownership, which made handguns illegal in all but a very small category of cases. Dunblane wasn't a failing of the current law, since the current law did not exist at that time.

26. Sep 24, 2010 #25
    No one hunts with an automatic weapon - I have no idea where you got this idea from. In fact, I don't think you even know what an automatic weapon really is. Anyways, one should not have to go through this hand-holding process where, maybe, if they are lucky enough, they can get a permit. In all seriousness, Id be very interested to have you apply for a permit and report back on if you get one or not. I think you are more than 'suitable' to own one, let's see what your government thinks of you. I have my doubts you'd be given on in reality.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook