Hunting in UK: How to Hunt Without Guns or Hounds

• Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uk
In summary: The process to receive ones license is fairly detailed. First a written test on game laws is required. Then another game identification test is taken. This is followed by demonstration of firearms safety as well as distance estimation. Finally off to the the skeet range for shotgun qualification. This process was completed in 2 days.What I find amusing is that in order to receive a hunting license in the US, you don't even have to pass a written test! You can just show up at the shooting range with a gun and a license.I also perfectly well understand...What I find amusing is that in order to receive a hunting license in the US, you don't even have to pass a written test! You can just show up
apeiron said:
Hilarious. You raise the issue of governments treating citizens as children.

In regards to hunting.

The counter argument is that it is completely right to ban guns designed purely for killing people, to allow guns for "sporting purposes", but to also control those sporting guns in ways that limit the possibility of "dual use".

Re: Bold - What a woefully ignorant comment. Go learn about guns before making statements concerning them. This is idiotic. If you spent half the time educating yourself about guns as you do trying to dig up statistics, people might take you seriously.

One is a coherent set of public policies. The other - your idea of a civic right - is accompanied by a x25 greater rate of gun homicide. Not seeing too many strawmen here, just some facts you don't care to face.

Again, I am not here to argue about gun crime rates in the US vs the UK, I don't care. And I don't have to "face" anything - get over yourself, apeiron. This thread is about hunting, if you don't want to stay on topic, then leave.

Anyways, I really don't care about the UK, you guys have your laws. You wanted them, you got them. Enjoy them: It's not my problem. I have no desire to ever live in your country.

Note: I've been on this forum for years now, I've had this debate more times than I care to count. Simply put, I'm not going to waste my time on it anymore. It gets old.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cyrus said:
Re: Bold - What a woefully ignorant comment. Go learn about guns before making statements concerning them. This is idiotic.

Are you seriously claiming guns like the AR-15 or Glock 19 were not designed for killing humans as their primary purpose? Both were created as combat weapons.

If you want to argue otherwise, please back it up with proper evidence.

Cyrus said:
Blah, what a miserable system of restrictions on personal freedoms.

How is banning guns designed as people-killers a bad thing? You made the statement, so you back it up.

The fact that US gun homicide is x25 the UKs and most other civilised countries is something you don't want to talk about because it flatly contradicts your statement about "a miserable system of restrictions on personal freedoms".

apeiron said:
Are you seriously claiming guns like the AR-15 or Glock 19 were not designed for killing humans as their primary purpose? Both were created as combat weapons.

If you want to argue otherwise, please back it up with proper evidence.
How is banning guns designed as people-killers a bad thing? You made the statement, so you back it up.

The fact that US gun homicide is x25 the UKs and most other civilised countries is something you don't want to talk about because it flatly contradicts your statement about "a miserable system of restrictions on personal freedoms".

Make a new thread if you want to discuss this issue. I'm done with you. You can say this until you turn blue in the face - I still won't care. I already said you guys choose your laws, and that's your right. It's not my problem. I have no idea why you keep bringing this up.

<h2>1. What types of hunting are allowed in the UK without guns or hounds?</h2><p>There are several types of hunting that are allowed in the UK without guns or hounds, including falconry, bow hunting, and hunting with dogs that are trained to chase but not kill prey.</p><h2>2. Do I need a license to hunt without guns or hounds in the UK?</h2><p>Yes, you will need a license to participate in any form of hunting in the UK, including those that do not involve guns or hounds. You can obtain a license from the local council or the British Association for Shooting and Conservation.</p><h2>3. What are the regulations for hunting without guns or hounds in the UK?</h2><p>There are several regulations that must be followed when hunting without guns or hounds in the UK. These include obtaining a license, following specific hunting seasons and bag limits, and only hunting on land where you have permission from the landowner.</p><h2>4. Can I hunt on public land without guns or hounds in the UK?</h2><p>In most cases, hunting on public land without guns or hounds is not allowed in the UK. However, there are some exceptions, such as designated areas for falconry or bow hunting. It is important to check with local authorities before hunting on public land.</p><h2>5. What safety precautions should I take when hunting without guns or hounds in the UK?</h2><p>Safety should always be a top priority when participating in any form of hunting. When hunting without guns or hounds in the UK, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear, have a first aid kit on hand, and always let someone know where you will be hunting and when you expect to return.</p>

1. What types of hunting are allowed in the UK without guns or hounds?

There are several types of hunting that are allowed in the UK without guns or hounds, including falconry, bow hunting, and hunting with dogs that are trained to chase but not kill prey.

2. Do I need a license to hunt without guns or hounds in the UK?

Yes, you will need a license to participate in any form of hunting in the UK, including those that do not involve guns or hounds. You can obtain a license from the local council or the British Association for Shooting and Conservation.

3. What are the regulations for hunting without guns or hounds in the UK?

There are several regulations that must be followed when hunting without guns or hounds in the UK. These include obtaining a license, following specific hunting seasons and bag limits, and only hunting on land where you have permission from the landowner.

4. Can I hunt on public land without guns or hounds in the UK?

In most cases, hunting on public land without guns or hounds is not allowed in the UK. However, there are some exceptions, such as designated areas for falconry or bow hunting. It is important to check with local authorities before hunting on public land.

5. What safety precautions should I take when hunting without guns or hounds in the UK?

Safety should always be a top priority when participating in any form of hunting. When hunting without guns or hounds in the UK, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear, have a first aid kit on hand, and always let someone know where you will be hunting and when you expect to return.