Hunting in the UK

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
No one hunts with an automatic weapon - I have no idea where you got this idea from. In fact, I don't think you even know what an automatic weapon really is.

Did I say that people hunt with automatic weapons? You said that hunters got screwed in the process of tightening up on the control of firearms. However, in reality, the weapons that have been banned are automatic rifles and handguns, which are of no use to hunters. Thus, how have the hunters been "royally screwed"?

Anyways, one should not have to go through this hand-holding process where, maybe, if they are lucky enough, they can get a permit.

Yes one should. As I mentioned above, there is no fundamental right to own a firearm (note that we're not talking about America, for once).

In all seriousness, Id be very interested to have you apply for a permit and report back on if you get one or not. I think you are more than 'suitable' to own one, let's see what your government thinks of you. I have my doubts you'd be given on in reality.

Of course I wouldn't. I have never hunted in my life, never fired a weapon, and live in the inner city. Why would anyone give me a licence?

I don't see how this (a) has anything to do with the OP and (b) is a relevant point against legal gun ownership. The Dunblane massacre was before the current laws on handgun ownership, which made handguns illegal in all but a very small category of cases. Dunblane wasn't a failing of the current law, since the current law did not exist at that time.

It wasn’t a reply to the OP it was a reply to you.

I understand perfectly well what restrictions were changed as a result of the Dunblane massacre and when they changed. I apologise if I misread your point, but you seemed to be offering gun licensing as the reason why gun ownership is not a problem here in the UK. I meant to offer a challenge to that view. The changes brought in as a result of Dunblane are not a matter of licensing. The kind of guns Hamilton used are now banned from private ownership all together, except under certain tightly controlled circumstances. What I had not known until checking my facts for this post is that even Britain’s Olympic shooters are subject to this ban.

Did I say that people hunt with automatic weapons? You said that hunters got screwed in the process of tightening up on the control of firearms. However, in reality, the weapons that have been banned are automatic rifles and handguns, which are of no use to hunters. Thus, how have the hunters been "royally screwed"?

Fair enough.

Yes one should. As I mentioned above, there is no fundamental right to own a firearm (note that we're not talking about America, for once).

Blah, what a miserable system of restrictions on personal freedoms.

Of course I wouldn't. I have never hunted in my life, never fired a weapon, and live in the inner city. Why would anyone give me a licence?

That's kind of my point. You live in a free society and should be able to easily obtain a permit if you apply. Not be treated like a child and told no.

Just to clarify, it is illegal in the UK to own a firearm without a licence and then it is a shotgun licence.

If you want to get a licence, you have to demonstrate that you have a gun cabinet where the weapon will remain locked at all times when not in use.

You must also show a requirement to own a firearm (pest control and sports shooting are the main reasons).

The license is issued by your local police station, the whole process is here:
http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/goshoot...licence__shotgun_certificate_application.html

Now back to the OP. If you want to go hunting in the UK, you need the permission of the land owner to use their land for that purpose. There isn't much to hunt, I think rabbits are what most people go for.

You live in a free society and should be able to easily obtain a permit if you apply. Not be treated like a child and told no.

The US, a true 'free society', which means you now have a gun crime rate 25 times higher than the UK. Oh yes, the benefits of gun ownership paying off there.

Anyway, there is a time and a place for debates on firearms, this is neither the time nor the place. These debates are pointless and get no where. Let's stick to the UK hunting situation.

The US, a true 'free society', which means you now have a gun crime rate 25 times higher than the UK. Oh yes, the benefits of gun ownership paying off there.

Anyway, there is a time and a place for debates on firearms, this is neither the time nor the place. These debates are pointless and get no where. Let's stick to the UK hunting situation.

You know, if you want to lecture me about the 'time and place' for this debate, then you shouldn't insert nonsense like 25 times higher rates than the UK - it comes off as being sleazy and hypocritical.

I specifically said for him to apply for a permit to hunting, did that escape you? Anyways, it's you guys country and I really don't care what you do there.

Well as I can't PM you so as not to drag this thread off track:

You know, if you want to lecture me about the 'time and place' for this debate, then you shouldn't insert nonsense like 25 times higher rates than the UK - it comes off as being sleazy and hypocritical.

Based on these sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence

http://www.gun-control-network.org/GF01.htm [Broken]

They show the US gun homicide rate per 100,000 people to be 25 - 27 times higher than the UK. What's nonsense about that?

The non-gun related homicide rates of England and Wales to the US are virtually identical.

The graph on the gun-control-network page shows that as the percentage of households with firearms increases, there are more intentional deaths per 100,000 of the population. So to say the UK's strict gun control laws aren't working is ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well as I can't PM you so as not to drag this thread off track:

Based on these sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence

http://www.gun-control-network.org/GF01.htm [Broken]

They show the US gun homicide rate per 100,000 people to be 25 - 27 times higher than the UK. What's nonsense about that?

The non-gun related homicide rates of England and Wales to the US are virtually identical.

The graph on the gun-control-network page shows that as the percentage of households with firearms increases, there are more intentional deaths per 100,000 of the population. So to say the UK's strict gun control laws aren't working is ridiculous.

Dude, seriously. Stick to hunting. Please. I'm not going to defend your strawmen.

Last edited by a moderator:
jtbell
Mentor
Although to be fair the most fearsome creature they are likely to encounter is the dread badger.
They do not have to arm themselves to defend against grizzly bears, wolves, coyotes, mountain lions and moose that Americans face on their delay commute.

:rofl: That's hilarious.

Tell that to my colleague who once had the front end of his car bashed in by a deer while driving to work here one morning. :wink:

apeiron
Gold Member
Dude, seriously. Stick to hunting. Please. I'm not going to defend your strawmen.

Hilarious. You raise the issue of governments treating citizens as children. The counter argument is that it is completely right to ban guns designed purely for killing people, to allow guns for "sporting purposes", but to also control those sporting guns in ways that limit the possibility of "dual use".

One is a coherent set of public policies. The other - your idea of a civic right - is accompanied by a x25 greater rate of gun homicide. Not seeing too many strawmen here, just some facts you don't care to face.

Hilarious. You raise the issue of governments treating citizens as children.

In regards to hunting.

The counter argument is that it is completely right to ban guns designed purely for killing people, to allow guns for "sporting purposes", but to also control those sporting guns in ways that limit the possibility of "dual use".

Re: Bold - What a woefully ignorant comment. Go learn about guns before making statements concerning them. This is idiotic. If you spent half the time educating yourself about guns as you do trying to dig up statistics, people might take you seriously.

One is a coherent set of public policies. The other - your idea of a civic right - is accompanied by a x25 greater rate of gun homicide. Not seeing too many strawmen here, just some facts you don't care to face.

Again, I am not here to argue about gun crime rates in the US vs the UK, I don't care. And I don't have to "face" anything - get over yourself, apeiron. This thread is about hunting, if you don't want to stay on topic, then leave.

Anyways, I really don't care about the UK, you guys have your laws. You wanted them, you got them. Enjoy them: It's not my problem. I have no desire to ever live in your country.

Note: I've been on this forum for years now, I've had this debate more times than I care to count. Simply put, I'm not going to waste my time on it anymore. It gets old.

Last edited:
apeiron
Gold Member
Re: Bold - What a woefully ignorant comment. Go learn about guns before making statements concerning them. This is idiotic.

Are you seriously claiming guns like the AR-15 or Glock 19 were not designed for killing humans as their primary purpose? Both were created as combat weapons.

If you want to argue otherwise, please back it up with proper evidence.

Blah, what a miserable system of restrictions on personal freedoms.

How is banning guns designed as people-killers a bad thing? You made the statement, so you back it up.

The fact that US gun homicide is x25 the UKs and most other civilised countries is something you don't want to talk about because it flatly contradicts your statement about "a miserable system of restrictions on personal freedoms".

Are you seriously claiming guns like the AR-15 or Glock 19 were not designed for killing humans as their primary purpose? Both were created as combat weapons.

If you want to argue otherwise, please back it up with proper evidence.

How is banning guns designed as people-killers a bad thing? You made the statement, so you back it up.

The fact that US gun homicide is x25 the UKs and most other civilised countries is something you don't want to talk about because it flatly contradicts your statement about "a miserable system of restrictions on personal freedoms".

Make a new thread if you want to discuss this issue. I'm done with you. You can say this until you turn blue in the face - I still wont care. I already said you guys choose your laws, and that's your right. It's not my problem. I have no idea why you keep bringing this up.