Hunting the Purple Squirrel

• News
  • Thread starter chemisttree
  • Start date
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Also, the BLS OES data still suggests that the majority of H1Bs make below the median in their field. Its possible there is large reporting bias, but the existence of a visa premium makes sense, and it seems likely some employers would find a way to use it to their benefit.
I clearly make less than the median, because I am a junior staff in the pool. But, I cannot stay on H1B longer than 5 years, and almost everybody went through the same process. The initial claim that there is a systemic problem with the H1B program is quite extraordinary, and the soundbites can be interpreted innocuously by someone living the ordinary reality of the H1B program. I would be interested in a more convincing study.
Obviously, a lot depends on the trends. People on H1B Visas eventually either become permanent residents or leave the country. And if they become permanent residents no longer in the H1B program, how does a study report them?

In other words, people here on a H1B Visa can make the same as American workers with the same experience and still depress the mean wage of all employees. A high influx of new workers means you can implement more of an "up or out" attitude towards current workers. Experience counts for more if the probability of a new employee being good is lower. In other words, an employee's replacement value, how much better he is than the average expected replacement, is higher if the overall quality of the replacement pool is lower.

This can actually be more of a problem than just lowering wages for new employees. How does the influx of H1B workers affect the average age of programmers and engineers a company has? And what does that mean career wise, especially for employees in their 40's and 50's? Forcing a young person to realize they may not be competitive in the career field they chose has a completely different impact than waiting for a couple decades before telling a worker he just isn't all that special (and, presumably, even if not definitely, it would be the "just good enough" experienced workers that would experience the biggest impact).

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
My H1B salary was matched with the standard salary for my competences. I am sorry, but I still do not understand how you can lower costs with this strategy. As far as I understand, it is far cheaper to subcontract labor abroad.
I've always thought that as well. I assumed the HR folks had determined that american workers were more likely to unionize, sue for discrimination of one sort or another, were more lazy, more likely to quit for better pay or working conditions.

How does your employer handle your retirement?

Evo
Mentor
I've always thought that as well. I assumed the HR folks had determined that american workers were more likely to unionize, sue for discrimination of one sort or another, were more lazy, more likely to quit for better pay or working conditions.

LOL, IIRC, humanino doesn't work for an ordinary employer.

chemisttree, do you realize that most big companies did away with retirement plans years ago? I worked 32 years in management for AT&T, they did away with their retirement plan ages ago. I got some class action thing in the mail a few years ago saying AT&T owed me a retirement as a result, but it was when I was having surgery, so threw the package into a drawer and never responded. I'm sure if I read it now, I would kick myself.

401k with contribution matched.
humanino doesn't work for an ordinary employer.
I realize that not having a private employer may certainly shelter me from unethical practices. Hence my surprise and interest in this thread.

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
LOL, IIRC, humanino doesn't work for an ordinary employer.

chemisttree, do you realize that most big companies did away with retirement plans years ago?
Yes. I was just wondering if there might be a vesting period. Several of our H-1b's left long before they were vested. I thought they were getting ripped off.