Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hurricane eye + Nuclear missle

1. Jul 8, 2005 #1
    Me and my friends are having a discussion on Hurricanes and the question came up if one was to detonate nuclear missile into the eye of a hurricane. what would happen ,some said the hurricane would get larger and more powerful. Is there some sort of answer to this? Maybe also a mathematical explanation as to what will happen chemically?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The math would probably be something a supercomputer would crank out, not something postable on a forum. Of course, when the theoretical part is too hard, i always say blow crap up :D

4. Jul 8, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The question is "what effect would the shock wave of a nuclear detonation have on the hurricane"? i.e. would it disrupt the hurricane?

I don't know if anyone has modeled it, so it is hard so say what it would do.

Hurricanes are large - area and volumewise.

Presumably to have an effect, a sizeable nuclear weapon would need to be used - probably in the megaton range. Possibly the blast would cause a condensation effect, which would disperse some energy - presumably into the ocean.

The problem is that the energy is still there, and then the question becomes - would the hurrican reform?

A major problem with the idea is the radioactive fallout - which has to go somewhere - like into the ocean or atmosphere. This is a principal reason why atmospheric detonations are banned and all testing has been done underground.

Chemically, not a lot would happen - some of the atmosphere is ionized and recombines. The hurricane is mostly water vapor/droplets dispersed in air (78% N2, 21% O2, + CO2 and trace gases).

5. Jul 8, 2005 #4

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This has been brought up before. The conclusion was:

[tex]\text{hurricane}+\text{nuclear bomb}=\text{radioactive hurricane}[/tex]

6. Jul 8, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I think theres a coefficient missing there

7. Jul 13, 2005 #6
    The water in the hurricane might condense very rapidly on the shockwave which in turn might cause serious downpours when the blast disspates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?