Tracking Hurricane Irma: Potential US Impact in a Week

In summary, Hurricane Irma is currently a Category 5 storm and is forecast to continue strengthening as it moves westward over the next five days. The forecast models show a wide range of possibilities for its path, from Mexico to Canada. The storm is being steered by a high-pressure ridge and is not expected to weaken due to low wind shear. It is still too early to predict the exact impact on the United States, but several islands in the Caribbean and Florida are preparing for potential impact. The Dutch territories of Saba and Saint Eustatius have already been hit hard and aid is being sent from the Netherlands. The forecast for the US has improved in the last 24 hours, with models showing the storm moving east.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
From CNN:

Powerful Hurricane Irma is rapidly intensifying in the open Atlantic and poses a major threat to the Caribbean and potentially to the United States next week. With the storm still five days away from the outermost Caribbean islands and at least a week away from any potential US impacts, there is still a lot of uncertainty about where it will go. The range of possibilities presented by the forecast models more than a week out literally spreads from Mexico to Canada -- and everywhere in between.

View attachment 7258

Hurricane Irma is forecast to continue to strengthen as it moves westward over the next five days, and the official forecast from the National Hurricane Center puts a dangerous Category 4 Hurricane Irma on the doorstep of the Caribbean by the end of the five-day forecast on Wednesday. A strong high-pressure ridge to the north of Irma, over the Atlantic, is steering the storm to the west and limiting the wind shear in the upper levels of the atmosphere, which has allowed the storm to grow so quickly. Wind shear is like hurricane kryptonite, and prevents storms from forming or gaining strength.
Unfortunately, Irma will remain in a low-shear environment for the next several days, so there isn't much hope that Irma will weaken any time soon.

Living on the northern Atlantic coast of Florida, I will be watching this very closely. Forecasters should know a lot more on Monday, and I'll likely post an update then.

Attachments

• irma_9-1-17.jpg
    irma_9-1-17.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 116
Physics news on Phys.org

Attachments

• irma_gefs_9-2-17.jpg
    irma_gefs_9-2-17.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 107
  • irma_ecmf_9-2-17.jpg
    irma_ecmf_9-2-17.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 111

Attachments

• irma_gefs_9-4-17.png
    irma_gefs_9-4-17.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 105
That's not looking too good. I hope you stay safe and dry in Fla.

I'm off on holiday in a few days' time, going to Italy for a week. I hope the weather is better there.

From CNN:

Hurricane Irma has strengthened into an "extremely dangerous" Category 5 storm, the National Hurricane Center said, threatening to slam into northeastern Caribbean islands and Puerto Rico by Wednesday before possibly taking aim at the US mainland.

Irma was churning Tuesday morning in the Atlantic about 270 miles east of Antigua and Barbuda, heading west with maximum sustained winds of 175 mph -- well above the 157 mph threshold for a Category 5 -- the hurricane center said.

"Some fluctuations in intensity are likely during the next day or two, but Irma is forecast to remain a powerful Category 4 or 5 hurricane during the next couple of days," the center said.
It is still too early to tell the exact impact Irma will have on the United States.

Computer models show the system eventually heading toward Cuba and possibly turning north toward Florida by the weekend. While Irma's exact path is uncertain, several islands in the Caribbean as well as Florida are bracing for the storm. After declaring a state of emergency all across Florida, Gov. Rick Scott said President Donald Trump had "offered the full resources of the federal government as Floridians prepare for Hurricane Irma."

View attachment 7271

Attachments

• irma_9-5-17.jpg
    irma_9-5-17.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 102
Just wanted to post an update on the spaghetti models:

Plots.jpg

This is good news for Florida, but bad news for South Carolina...however this is still 5+ days out, so it's still a game of wait and see.

The places it has hit in the Caribbean so far have had it really rough from what early reports are beginning to indicate. Widespread destruction. :(

Today Irma has hit my country, The Netherlands.
Well... that's the islands Sint-Maarten, Saba, and Sint-Eustatius in the Caribbeans that still belong to my country, although they're pretty much on the other side of the Atlantic. We're sending troops to help out.

View attachment 7275

Attachments

• xxl.jpg
    xxl.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 85
From CNN:

The Dutch territories of Saba and Saint Eustatius as well in St Marteen have been “hit hard,” the Dutch PM Mark Rutte said in a statement published on his Facebook page on Thursday.

He said that “terrible first messages and images” are coming from Dutch-held areas in the Caribbean.

The statement continued: “As soon as weather permits, two naval ships from Aruba and Curacao will deliver military and relief supplies, in addition to nearly 100 additional soldiers already present in the affected area. The government is, as far as possible, in contact with the local authorities and continues to follow developments closely."

He ended saying that he and his cabinet members are "living this with the inhabitants of the affected islands" and called on those who have been caught up in the disaster to be strong in the coming hours and days.

As your local social mediarologist, I just want to say the forecast for my area has gotten better over the last 24 hours, with models generally moving to the east. The maximum sustained wind forecast here is 61 mph.

Here is a recent spaghetti model forecast:

Hurricane-Irma-path-update-1057854.png

MarkFL said:
From CNN:

Powerful Hurricane Irma is rapidly intensifying in the open Atlantic and poses a major threat to the Caribbean and potentially to the United States next week. With the storm still five days away from the outermost Caribbean islands and at least a week away from any potential US impacts, there is still a lot of uncertainty about where it will go. The range of possibilities presented by the forecast models more than a week out literally spreads from Mexico to Canada -- and everywhere in between.
Hurricane Irma is forecast to continue to strengthen as it moves westward over the next five days, and the official forecast from the National Hurricane Center puts a dangerous Category 4 Hurricane Irma on the doorstep of the Caribbean by the end of the five-day forecast on Wednesday. A strong high-pressure ridge to the north of Irma, over the Atlantic, is steering the storm to the west and limiting the wind shear in the upper levels of the atmosphere, which has allowed the storm to grow so quickly. Wind shear is like hurricane kryptonite, and prevents storms from forming or gaining strength.
Unfortunately, Irma will remain in a low-shear environment for the next several days, so there isn't much hope that Irma will weaken any time soon.

Living on the northern Atlantic coast of Florida, I will be watching this very closely. Forecasters should know a lot more on Monday, and I'll likely post an update then.

How are you? Have you been able to answer math questions? How badly was your area hit by the storm?

RTCNTC said:
How are you? Have you been able to answer math questions? How badly was your area hit by the storm?

I'm fine...I and my family took measures to be prepared and stay safe. I got my power back early this afternoon. My sister suffered minor damage to her house as some shingles were torn from the roof. My brother-in-law will be able to repair that easily. The only thing I have to deal with is a yard full of tree debris at my house and at my mother's.

There was some bad flooding and some tornadoes that destroyed houses here. The damage was much worse to the south of me. Some folks may be without power for weeks. At the height of the power outage in my county, all but 600 customers were without power. Many lessons were learned with Hurricane Matthew last year, and the utility companies were much better prepared/organized this time. (Yes)

Glad to see you're back safe, Mark. Prayers and best wishes to all affected by the storm.

What is Hurricane Irma and what is its current status?

Hurricane Irma is a powerful tropical cyclone that formed in the Atlantic Ocean. As of now, it is a Category 5 hurricane with sustained winds of 185 mph and is currently moving towards the Caribbean islands.

What is the potential impact of Hurricane Irma on the United States in the next week?

The potential impact of Hurricane Irma on the United States in the next week is uncertain. However, according to the National Hurricane Center, there is a possibility that it could make landfall in Florida or along the East Coast. It is important for people in these areas to closely monitor the storm's progress and follow any evacuation orders.

How can I track the path of Hurricane Irma?

There are various websites and apps that provide real-time tracking of Hurricane Irma, such as the National Hurricane Center, NOAA's Hurricane Tracker, and The Weather Channel. These sources use data from satellites, radar, and aircraft to provide accurate and up-to-date information on the storm's path.

What should I do to prepare for Hurricane Irma?

If you live in an area that could potentially be affected by Hurricane Irma, it is important to have an emergency plan in place. This includes stocking up on supplies, securing your home, and having a plan for evacuation if necessary. It is also important to stay informed and follow any instructions or evacuation orders from local authorities.

What can we expect after Hurricane Irma passes through?

After Hurricane Irma passes through, there may be significant damage to infrastructure, power outages, and potential flooding. It is important to stay informed and follow any instructions from local authorities regarding recovery efforts and safety precautions. It may take some time for the affected areas to fully recover, so patience and understanding are crucial during this time.