1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HV Snubber circuit

1. Jul 11, 2008 #1
    Hello All,

I'm designing a high voltage snubber circuit to protect a MOSFET which is driving an inductive load to produce BEMF spikes. I am expecting that the snubber capacitor will have to handle 500-1000V transients with greater than 10000V/ms rise and fall times, which I hear can burn up most caps. So I began looking for some good RF capacitors (around 5-10 nF) that could handle the load and someone recommended to me that I look at using Silver Mica capacitors. But seeing how expensive they are, I am wondering if there are any alternative types of capacitors that have similar specs. I would just go for ceramic caps, but I hear they are not good for this either?

Thanks,
    Jason O

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2008 #2

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You hear right about most capacitor types failing in this type of installation.
    I think the ones we used were Polypropylene film or Polystyrene film capacitors.

4. Jul 17, 2008 #3
    Can you catch most of the BEMF using a flyback diode across the load?
    Otherwise you want to look at polypropylene film construction.
    What is the total capacitance you require?
    The 10kV/ms rise time is generally easy to meet, as most snubber capacitors are rated at >1000V/us at that voltage.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?