1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hw Help

1. Sep 27, 2006 #1
    Hw Help!!!!

I'm struggling with 3 problems, can anyone help me out?

(1)You are riding on a jet ski at an angle upstream on a river flowing with a speed of 2.8 m/s. Suppose the jet ski is moving at a speed of 11 m/s relative to the water.

At what angle must you point the jet ski if your velocity relative to the ground is to be perpendicular to the shore of the river?

(2) Initially, a particle is moving at 4.80 m/s at an angle of 35.0° above the horizontal (+x axis). Two seconds later, its velocity is 5.45 m/s at an angle of 50.0° below the horizontal. What was the particle's average acceleration during this time interval?

(3) A football is thrown horizontally with an initial velocity of (16.2 m/s). Ignoring air resistance, the average acceleration of the football over any period of time is (-9.81 m/s2).

(a) Find the velocity vector of the ball 1.81 s after it is thrown.
    = ( m/s)x - ( m/s)y

(b) Find the magnitude and direction of the velocity at this time.
    Magnitude ____m/s
    Direction ___° below horizontal
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2006 #2
    for qn 2&3 jus use the EOM in both the x n y direction to get the ans
  4. Sep 27, 2006 #3
    not to sound like a complete idiot, but the EOM? i think i'm officially the worst person in the world at physics!!!!
  5. Sep 27, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think "EOM" means 'equation of momentum' and semc is really referring to "conservation of momentum".
  6. Sep 27, 2006 #5
    Hmm, more like equations of motion :wink:
  7. Sep 27, 2006 #6
    i2hckynut18: all this is easy. Try drawing some triangles.
  8. Sep 28, 2006 #7
    ya actually i mean equation of motion like v=u+at
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?