At what angle must you point the jet ski if your velocity relative

In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help with three physics problems. The first problem involves determining the angle at which a jet ski must point in order for its velocity relative to the ground to be perpendicular to the shore of a river. The second problem deals with finding the average acceleration of a particle over a two-second time interval given its initial and final velocities. The third problem involves finding the velocity vector and magnitude/direction of a football thrown horizontally after 1.81 seconds, using equations of motion. The conversation also includes some additional comments about the difficulty of physics and suggestions for solving the problems.
i2hckynut18
Hw Help!

I'm struggling with 3 problems, can anyone help me out?

(1)You are riding on a jet ski at an angle upstream on a river flowing with a speed of 2.8 m/s. Suppose the jet ski is moving at a speed of 11 m/s relative to the water.

At what angle must you point the jet ski if your velocity relative to the ground is to be perpendicular to the shore of the river?(2) Initially, a particle is moving at 4.80 m/s at an angle of 35.0° above the horizontal (+x axis). Two seconds later, its velocity is 5.45 m/s at an angle of 50.0° below the horizontal. What was the particle's average acceleration during this time interval?(3) A football is thrown horizontally with an initial velocity of (16.2 m/s). Ignoring air resistance, the average acceleration of the football over any period of time is (-9.81 m/s2).

(a) Find the velocity vector of the ball 1.81 s after it is thrown.
= ( m/s)x - ( m/s)y

(b) Find the magnitude and direction of the velocity at this time.
Magnitude ____m/s
Direction ___° below horizontal

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for qn 2&3 jus use the EOM in both the x n y direction to get the ans

not to sound like a complete idiot, but the EOM? i think I'm officially the worst person in the world at physics!

I think "EOM" means 'equation of momentum' and semc is really referring to "conservation of momentum".

Hmm, more like equations of motion :wink:

i2hckynut18: all this is easy. Try drawing some triangles.

ya actually i mean equation of motion like v=u+at

Last edited:

1. What does "velocity relative" mean in relation to a jet ski?

"Velocity relative" refers to the speed and direction of the jet ski in relation to a fixed point, such as the shore or another object in the water. It takes into account the jet ski's speed and direction of movement, as well as the speed and direction of any other objects or forces acting upon it.

2. Why is the angle important when pointing a jet ski?

The angle at which you point the jet ski is important because it determines the direction in which the jet ski will move. By adjusting the angle, you can control the speed and direction of the jet ski, allowing you to navigate through the water and avoid obstacles.

3. How do you determine the optimal angle for a jet ski?

The optimal angle for a jet ski will depend on various factors, such as the water conditions, the weight of the jet ski and rider, and the desired speed and direction of travel. It is important to consider these factors and adjust the angle accordingly to achieve the best performance.

4. Is the angle the same for all jet skis?

No, the optimal angle for a jet ski may vary depending on the make and model of the jet ski, as well as its size and weight. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's instructions and recommendations for the specific jet ski being used.

5. Can the angle of a jet ski be adjusted while in motion?

Yes, the angle of a jet ski can be adjusted while in motion by using the handlebars and throttle to steer and control the direction and speed. However, it is important to make gradual and controlled adjustments to avoid losing control of the jet ski.