1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HW help

1. Feb 14, 2008 #1
    HW help!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

consider the differential equation dy/dx = (y-1)^2 cos(Πx)

a.There is a horizontal line with y =c that satisfies this equation. Find the value of c
    b. Find the particular solution y =f(x) tot the differential equation with the initial condition f(1) = 0

2. Relevant equations

n/a

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to do the problem, but I cant separate the y variables from the x, help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2008 #2
    (a) What happens when you plug y=c to the differential equation? You should get just an equation depending on c (and x, but if you restrict x, you can divide it out).
    (b) Try multiplying each side by dx/(y-1)^2 and integrating directly. Then, you can either use your initial conditions as your integration limits or plug them in to find your integration constant.

4. Feb 14, 2008 #3
    I got it, I got c=1 thanks

5. Feb 15, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

While it is, in fact, almost trivial to separate x and y ((y-1)2 and cos([itex]\pi[/itex]), in effect, are separated- they are multiplied), you don't have to find the general solution to answer (b)!

6. Feb 16, 2008 #5
    i dont know much but i do know that u need to get your basics right. come see the lastest post in my blog. the web link may be of help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?