1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hw I'm having pbms with

1. Feb 21, 2006 #1
    [​IMG]
    The first one on the left is a Multiple Choice question. Just the mention of variables shuts down my brain. I'm still researching for the equation for the pbm.

The pbm in the right upper corner i think it's C and E. (by simply looking at it)

The pbm on the bottom right corner i used -E times delta r... I got -17.59.

Any help in the next 20-30 minutes will be much appreciated... as it'll double my hw score...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2006 #2
    Potential is a scalar quantity. The distance of the points in all the 3 cases from the charges is same (they lie on the perpendicular bisector). So the net potential will be zero along these points (all are equal = 0).

For the right upper corner, consider the other point where the potential may be zero. There are three possibilites - right of +Q, between the charges and left of -2Q. One case is already given - right of +Q. Left of -2Q will be ruled out (Why?). So one case is left. Solve. (d/3)

For 3rd one use E = - (V/d)
    or V = - E . d (E dot product d).
    where d is the radius vector pointing from B to A.

4. Feb 21, 2006 #3
    For the second question answer is D+(2D/3) = 5D/3

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?