How Do You Calculate Tension and Work for a Sledge Pulled at an Angle?

In summary, the conversation is about a sledge with a mass of 17.4 kg being pulled at a constant speed by a rope inclined at 19.2° above the horizontal. The sledge moves 20.0 m on a horizontal surface and has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.500. The conversation includes calculations to find the tension in the rope, the work done by the rope on the sledge, and the mechanical energy lost due to friction. The key to solving the problem is finding the normal force, which can be done using the equations F-fk=MA and fk=(coefficient of friction)(normal force). The final solution for the tension in the rope is 76.97 N.
cjknowland

Homework Statement

A sledge loaded with bricks has a total mass of 17.4 kg and is pulled at constant speed by a rope inclined at 19.2° above the horizontal. The sledge moves a distance of 20.0 m on a horizontal surface. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the sledge and surface is 0.500.

(a) What is the tension in the rope?

(b) How much work is done by the rope on the sledge?

(c) What is the mechanical energy lost due to friction?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble finding the normal force with the pull at 19.2 degrees. If anyone could help in solving this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the key is that the acceleration is zero but I do not know how to apply it...

F-fk=MA but in order to find fk, I need to use fk=(coefficient of friction)(normal force) but i do not know how to find the normal force with the information given.

okay I got an answer of 76.76... I don't know if its correct

Solving for T, I got 76.97 N

I'm willing to bet the discrepancy is rounding.
To be sure, I used
mg-Tsin(θ) = N
friction = (mg-Tsin(θ))μ
Tcos(θ)=friction = (mg-Tsin(θ))μ

T(cos(θ) + sin(θ)μ) = mgμ

so, T =mgμ/(cos(θ) + sin(θ)μ)

Last edited:
thank you so much =]

1. What is force and friction?

Force is a push or pull on an object that causes it to accelerate. Friction is the resistance between two surfaces when they come into contact with each other.

2. How do I calculate the force of friction?

The force of friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction (a measure of how rough or smooth the surfaces are) by the normal force (the force perpendicular to the surface).

3. What is the relationship between force and friction?

The relationship between force and friction is that an object in motion experiences a force of friction in the opposite direction of its motion. The greater the force, the greater the friction.

4. How does friction affect the motion of an object?

Friction can either slow down or stop the motion of an object. It can also cause an object to change direction or rotate.

5. How can friction be reduced?

To reduce friction, you can use lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. You can also make the surfaces smoother or use wheels or rollers to decrease the surface area in contact.