HW question in Trig relations

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving angles in the third quadrant, where cos(alpha)=-sqrt3/5. Using the pythagorean theorem, the author finds that sin(alpha)=-sqrt22/5 and tan(alpha)=-sqrt22/-sqrt3. However, because alpha is not in the third quadrant, the angles never fit correctly. The author suggests using sin(alpha)=sin(pi/2+arccos(sqrt(3)/5)=-sqrt(22)/5 and tan(alpha)=the answer above ^/cos (pi/2+arccos(sqrt(3
andrewkg
Q
If cos(alpha)=-sqrt3/5 and alpha is in the third quadrant, find exact values for sin(alpha) and tan(alpha).

A. Well what I did was use the pythagorean theorem so (-sqrt3)^2+(opposite)^2=5^2. then in the end I got sqrt22 for opposite so then sin(alpha)=sqrt22/5 and tan alpha =sqrt22/-sqrt3,
but here is the problem then the alpha is outside the third quadrant. then no matter the switchs made to my answs for sin tan +- they angles never fit properly. am I just making a dumb mistake of is the question off?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should sketch the situation.
The opposite said should be -√22 (spot the minus sign). Pythagoras will only tell you the lengths, not the directions.

Try it this way:
Construct the right-angled triangle in the third quadrant. The angle to the hypotenuse, measured anticlockwise from the x-axis is ##\alpha## but you want to use trigonometry on interior angles.
The interior angle is ##\theta = \alpha-180## ##H=5## and ##A=\sqrt{3}##... all positive values.
So ##\alpha = 180+\arccos(\sqrt{3}/5)## will be in the third quadrant.

Ok I see so sin(alpha)=-sqrt22/5 and tan alpha =-sqrt22/-sqrt3,

Care is needed:
tan(θ)=1 could come from O/A = 1/1 or O/A -1/-1 ... are they the same angle?
... a calculator evaluating tan-1(1) will say 45deg for both.

Ok I need to come back to this its almost 2 am where I live and I cannot think right now. Thanks A ton for the help, my brain is just not functioning

2am effect - know it well - sweet dreams.

It would help a lot if you used parentheses. Do you mean sin(alpha)= -sqrt(3)/5 or -sqrt(3/5)?

Its sqrt(3)/5
Ok so could I just ust sin(alpha)=sin(pi/2+arccos(sqrt(3)/5)=-sqrt(22)/5
And tan (alpha)=the answer above ^/cos (pi/2+arccos(sqrt(3)/5)=-sqrt(22)/-sqrt3.

Because by doing this I have given an exact angle in the third quadrent correct.

Also not pi/2 just pi

andrewkg said:
Its sqrt(3)/5
Ok so could I just use sin(alpha)=sin(pi/2+arccos(sqrt(3)/5)=-sqrt(22)/5
And tan (alpha)=the answer above ^/cos (pi/2+arccos(sqrt(3)/5)=-sqrt(22)/-sqrt3.

andrewkg said:
Because by doing this I have given an exact angle in the third quadrent correct.

andrewkg said:
Also not pi/2 just pi
(You can use the Edit feature to edit a previous post, rather than tacking on sentence fragments in additional posts.)

Sure. If [itex]\ \alpha\ [/itex] is in the third quadrant and [itex] \displaystyle \ \cos(\alpha)=-\frac{\sqrt{5}}{3}\,,\ [/itex] then [itex] \displaystyle \ \alpha\ =\pi+\arccos\left(\frac{\sqrt{5}}{3}\right)\ . [/itex]

Then [itex] \displaystyle \ \sin(\alpha)=\sin\left(\pi+\arccos\left(\frac{\sqrt{5}}{3}\right)\right)[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \quad\quad\ \quad\quad\ \quad =\sin(\pi)\cdot\cos\left(\arccos\left(\frac{\sqrt{5}}{3}\right)\right)
+\cos(\pi)\cdot\sin\left(\arccos\left(\frac{\sqrt{5}}{3}\right)\right)[/itex]
...​

Are you sure you read and wrote the question right?

cos α = -√3/5 or cos α = -√(3/5) ? :smile:

I'm positive. cos(a)=-sqrt(3)/5

You know, there are ways to solve this that are a lot easier. For instance, I found the following trig identities to be very useful:

sin2(α) + cos2(α) = 1

tan(α) = sin(α)/cos(α)

Ok so now I see the easier solution. sin a = -sqrt(1-(-sqrt(3)/5)) and tan a =-(sin a)/-(cos a)
Thanks cepheid and everyone else

1. What are the basic trigonometric ratios?

The basic trigonometric ratios are sine, cosine, and tangent. These ratios represent the relationship between the sides of a right triangle and can be used to solve for missing sides or angles.

2. How do I find the trigonometric ratios for special angles?

For special angles (0, 30, 45, 60, and 90 degrees), you can use the values of sine, cosine, and tangent that have been memorized or calculated through the unit circle. For example, the sine of 30 degrees is 1/2, the cosine of 45 degrees is √2/2, and the tangent of 60 degrees is √3.

3. How do I use trigonometric ratios to solve for missing sides or angles?

To solve for missing sides or angles using trigonometric ratios, you need to identify which ratio(s) you will need based on the given information. Then, you can set up a proportion and solve for the unknown variable using cross-multiplication.

4. What is the Pythagorean trigonometric identity?

The Pythagorean trigonometric identity states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. In other words, a² + b² = c², where c is the hypotenuse and a and b are the other two sides.

5. How do I convert between radians and degrees?

To convert from radians to degrees, use the formula degrees = radians * (180/π). To convert from degrees to radians, use the formula radians = degrees * (π/180). Keep in mind that π radians is equal to 180 degrees.