Increase Torque of DC Motor Without Changing RPM

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to increase the torque of a DC motor without changing the RPM for use in robotics, specifically in "robowars." The solution is to use a gear box, which follows the principle of gear reduction, resulting in less speed but more torque. It is also suggested to experiment with different gear ratios or to increase the voltage supplied to the motor. Additional resources for information on robotics and robowars are also provided.
alokpatra
am nt sure if am posting in the right section bcoz this is my 1st post..

please could i get help in understanding how to increase the torque of a dc motor without changing the rpm..
n how are gearboxes designed exactly which increase torque..
i basically want a mechanism 2 deliver higher torque maybe some way 2 increase torque externally (outside the motor )to use in ROBO WARs...

Engineering news on Phys.org
alokpatra said:
am nt sure if am posting in the right section bcoz this is my 1st post..

please could i get help in understanding how to increase the torque of a dc motor without changing the rpm..
n how are gearboxes designed exactly which increase torque..
i basically want a mechanism 2 deliver higher torque maybe some way 2 increase torque externally (outside the motor )to use in ROBO WARs...

Welcome to PF. You are in the right section since this is a general question. If it was a specific homework problem it would go up in the homework section.

As for your problem, the simplest solution is a gear box. The long story short with gears:

A smaller gear that turns a larger gear will turn the larger gear slower, but with more torque.
A larger gear turning a smaller gear will turn the smaller gear faster, but with less torque.
The gear ratio is the ratio of the RPM in and out of any group of gears.

Gears_animation.gif

I don't know what kind of physics background you have, but torque is just a force that causes rotation. Torque itself is calculated by multiplying the force that is perpendicular to the axis of rotation by the distance from the axis, or the "lever arm".
In this animation the dark blue arrow that appears on the ball is the force that creates the torque. The lever arm is the length of the arm that goes from the axis to the ball.
Torque_animation.gif

Same idea with a see saw. If you place the fulcrum (point of rotation) three quarters up the board and place a big mass on the short end you'll be able to counter balance it with a lighter mass on the other side, because of the longer lever arm.

Gears follow the same principle, the larger gear has a much larger radius that it exerts the force over, as opposed to the smaller one. So that's how it works.

"Gear reduction" basically sums up to less speed, but more torque. Which is what you're looking for. For robotics specifically you should be able to find pre-made assemblies in hobby shops, or just pick up some gears and experiment with different ratios yourself.

Last edited:
But could you tell me how to increase the torque without making any change in the torque? or is it not possible?

alokpatra said:
But could you tell me how to increase the torque without making any change in the torque? or is it not possible?
Your motor RPM will stay the same, but your output will spin slower if you want to get more torque. Your only other option is to increase the speed of the motor driving your system.

A DC motor usually has a system curve , torque over RPM and the system you want to operate usually can operate at a certain torque the less torque your system need the less torque your motor provide with higher rpm.

Check this page out : http://industrial.panasonic.com/ww/i_e/25000/fa_pro_sgeard_shing1_e/fa_pro_sgeard_shing1_e/ctlg_geared_e_9.pdf [Broken]

in a hoist mechanism the torque a motor must provide is equal to : the radius of the gear head x the mass of the body lifted x g"which is the gravitational acceleration".

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi alok!
You could try doubling the voltage supplied to the motor. It'll also double the torque and RPM of the motor.
For more details & queries related to robowars you could also check out: www.teammass5.tk

1. How can I increase the torque of a DC motor without changing its RPM?

One way to increase the torque of a DC motor without changing its RPM is by using gears or pulleys to create a mechanical advantage. This allows the motor to output more torque at the expense of a slower rotational speed. Another method is by using a higher voltage power supply, which increases the motor's torque output without affecting its RPM.

2. Can I adjust the motor's torque without changing its RPM?

Yes, it is possible to adjust the torque of a DC motor without changing its RPM. This can be achieved by using a motor controller, which allows for precise control of the motor's current and voltage. By adjusting these parameters, the motor's torque output can be modified without affecting its rotational speed.

3. Is it possible to increase the torque of a DC motor by changing its winding configuration?

Yes, changing the winding configuration of a DC motor can increase its torque output. This can be done by rewinding the motor's armature or by using a different type of winding, such as a series or shunt winding. However, this may also affect the motor's RPM, so it is important to carefully consider the desired outcome before making any changes.

4. Can changing the motor's brushes increase its torque?

Changing the motor's brushes can potentially increase its torque output. Brushes are responsible for transferring electrical current to the motor's armature, and a worn or damaged brush can decrease the motor's efficiency and torque. By replacing the brushes with higher quality or larger ones, the motor's torque output can be improved.

5. Are there any other methods to increase the torque of a DC motor without changing its RPM?

Aside from the methods mentioned above, other ways to increase the torque of a DC motor without changing its RPM include using a different type of motor, such as a brushless DC motor or a stepper motor, which are designed to output higher torque at lower speeds. Additionally, optimizing the motor's mechanical components, such as bearings and lubrication, can also improve its torque output without affecting its RPM.