1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hwk help

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1
    I need some help with this hwk! Please someone help me...:confused:
    A certain spring is found not to obey Hook’s law; it exerts a restoring force if it is stretched or compressed, where α = 60.0 N / m and β = 18.0 N / m2. The mass of the spring is negligible. (a) Calculate the potential-energy function U(x) for the spring. Let U = 0 when x = 0. (b) An object with mass m = 0.900 kg on a frictionless, horizontal surface is attached to this spring, pulled a distance 1.00 m to the right (the + x-direction) to stretch the spring, and released. What is the speed of the object when it is 0.500 m to the right of the equilibrium position? (c) Use Newtonian dynamics to find the speed at this position. (d) What is the instantaneous power when x = 0.500 m?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

According to the given coefficients it seems the relationship is of the form

[tex]F = \alpha x + \beta x^2[/tex]

(a) use

[tex]U(x) = \int {F\ dx} + C[/tex]

(b) use conservation of energy

(c) I am not sure what to do here maybe

[tex] a = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{F}{m}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dv}{dx} \frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dx}v = \frac{F}{m}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}v^2 = \int {\frac{F}{m}dx} + C[/tex]

which in essense is conservation of energy again ????
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  4. Nov 24, 2007 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?