Hybrid CVT

• Thread starter jerromyjon
  • Start date

Summary:

The adaption of electromagnetic propulsion to CVT transmissions for hybrid advancement...

Main Question or Discussion Point

What would be the best strategy to make a magnetic cvt belt that could be motivated electromagnetically? I think this is an inevitable step in the evolution of automotive technology, so what would be the ideal way to implement it? A starter through the primary pulley to start the ice or move the vehicle in emergency mode... coupled to a drive-train.

Answers and Replies

Last edited:
OCR
berkeman
Mentor
What does that mean?
I think it means "moved electromagnetically". Not "motivated" in the way we are used to using the word ("go for it belt, you can do it!").

If you mean an electromechanical transmisison instead of an electromechanical belt, then how about driving a generator to supply power to a BLDC electric motor. There would be not mechanical coupling at all, just electric. In principle, that is how hybrid electric cars work.

In principle, that is how hybrid electric cars work.
Yeah, I've replaced an I.C.E. with no starter, the transmission (with the coil inside that drives the engine or the wheels, or the battery) needs to have a continuously variable armature.

I'm thinking about the Faraday disc... is that the right name? Like a coil with a contact but brush-less. Electromagnetic clamp instead of fluid pressure. The more amps you pump through, the tighter the clench. No more spring tension on the ratio piston to fight.

cjl
Science Advisor
Why use a belt at all? Toyota's hybrid setup uses a combination of an internal combustion engine and 2 electric motors to create a CVT that is beautifully simple and reliable.

Why use a belt at all? Toyota's hybrid setup uses a combination of an internal combustion engine and 2 electric motors to create a CVT that is beautifully simple and reliable.
Well now that's something I wasn't aware of! I've never rebuilt a hybrid transmission, yet, so I don't even have much insight into what has been done already... I will certainly look into it, thanks!