Revolutionize Your CVT with a Magnetic Belt: The Future of Automotive Technology

• Thread starter jerromyjon
  • Start date
In summary, a magnetic cvt belt could be motivated electromagnetically, and could be a simpler and more reliable alternative to a traditional transmission.
jerromyjon
TL;DR Summary
The adaption of electromagnetic propulsion to CVT transmissions for hybrid advancement...
What would be the best strategy to make a magnetic cvt belt that could be motivated electromagnetically? I think this is an inevitable step in the evolution of automotive technology, so what would be the ideal way to implement it? A starter through the primary pulley to start the ice or move the vehicle in emergency mode... coupled to a drive-train.

Engineering news on Phys.org
jerromyjon said:
motivated electromagnetically
What does that mean?

Last edited:
anorlunda said:
What does that mean?
I think it means "moved electromagnetically". Not "motivated" in the way we are used to using the word ("go for it belt, you can do it!").

If you mean an electromechanical transmisison instead of an electromechanical belt, then how about driving a generator to supply power to a BLDC electric motor. There would be not mechanical coupling at all, just electric. In principle, that is how hybrid electric cars work.

anorlunda said:
In principle, that is how hybrid electric cars work.
Yeah, I've replaced an I.C.E. with no starter, the transmission (with the coil inside that drives the engine or the wheels, or the battery) needs to have a continuously variable armature.

I'm thinking about the Faraday disc... is that the right name? Like a coil with a contact but brush-less. Electromagnetic clamp instead of fluid pressure. The more amps you pump through, the tighter the clench. No more spring tension on the ratio piston to fight.

Why use a belt at all? Toyota's hybrid setup uses a combination of an internal combustion engine and 2 electric motors to create a CVT that is beautifully simple and reliable.

Likes russ_watters and jerromyjon
cjl said:
Why use a belt at all? Toyota's hybrid setup uses a combination of an internal combustion engine and 2 electric motors to create a CVT that is beautifully simple and reliable.
Well now that's something I wasn't aware of! I've never rebuilt a hybrid transmission, yet, so I don't even have much insight into what has been done already... I will certainly look into it, thanks!

1. What is a CVT and how does it work?

A CVT, or continuously variable transmission, is a type of automatic transmission that allows for a smooth and seamless transition between gears. It uses a system of pulleys and belts to vary the gear ratio, rather than traditional gears found in other transmissions. This allows the engine to operate at its most efficient speed, resulting in improved fuel efficiency and performance.

2. What is a magnetic belt and how does it revolutionize CVT technology?

A magnetic belt is a belt made of a special type of rubber that contains magnetic particles. When placed in a CVT, the belt creates a magnetic field that interacts with the pulleys, allowing for a more efficient transfer of power. This results in improved performance and fuel efficiency, making it a game-changing technology for CVTs.

3. What are the benefits of using a magnetic belt in a CVT?

Using a magnetic belt in a CVT offers several benefits. It improves the efficiency of the transmission, resulting in better fuel economy and performance. It also reduces the wear and tear on the transmission, leading to longer-lasting and more reliable vehicles. Additionally, the use of a magnetic belt can help reduce emissions, making it a more environmentally-friendly option.

4. Is the magnetic belt technology currently being used in any vehicles?

Yes, some car manufacturers have already started implementing magnetic belt technology in their CVTs. However, it is still a relatively new technology and is not yet widely used. As more research and development is done, we can expect to see more vehicles utilizing this technology in the future.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a magnetic belt in a CVT?

While the benefits of using a magnetic belt in a CVT are significant, there are some potential drawbacks to consider. One concern is the cost of implementing this technology, which may make it less accessible for some consumers. There are also concerns about the long-term durability and reliability of magnetic belts, as they are still a relatively new technology. Further research and development will be needed to address these concerns and ensure the effectiveness of magnetic belts in CVTs.