Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hybrid Hydrogen Oxygen System

1. Oct 24, 2007 #1
    Denny Klein has (allegedly) discovered a way to turn H2O into HHO with very considerable energy output. I think this is a different process to the other 'salt water energy' thread so i'll start a new one here. It does look impressively powerful, in just three seconds he turns a large ball of metal into glowing liquid state. When he burns something with it, afterwards it turns straight back to water!, which is the part i find amazing about it. i'm not sure what to think, seems to good to be true.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He splits water into H2 and O2 with electricty and then burns them in a torch.
    Not exactly new, for prior art on burning H2 + O2 see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindenburg_disaster

The problem is that it takes a lot more electricity to split the water than you get back and both H2 and O2 are tricky to handle.
  4. Oct 24, 2007 #3
    so this sort of energy output is not exceptional then?
  5. Oct 24, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope oxy-hydrogen torches are quite common - they are hotter than oxy-acetylene and are easier to cut some steels with because the oxygen helps a slag form.

They tend to get used for small scale jewellery work because they are easy to control and the oxygen burns off some impurities as you work.
  6. Oct 24, 2007 #5
    looks pretty impressive though, i wouldn't mind a tool in my garage like that!

Is the electricity required for this supplied by typical mains power then? it doesn't mention how the electricity to produce this effect is produced i dont think.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  7. Oct 24, 2007 #6

In order to split water you need a DC power supply.
  8. Oct 24, 2007 #7

Staff: Mentor

This is a hoax. Consider what HHO could possibly be. It is a molecule with two hydrogens and one oxygen. There is another name for that and another way of writing it...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?