Hybrid orbitals problem

• Thread starter ciubba
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm seeing conflicting answers among various textbooks. I would predict that it forms SP3 hybrid orbitals, and yet its bond angles are far from 109.5.

Edit: H2S, rather.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
No hybridization at all and pure sp3 are just two ends of a continuum.

For some highly symmetrical molecules (say, CH4) hybridization of the central atom is a pure sp3. But for some other molecules, like H2S, what we observe is just some partial hybridization, in which bonds are not equivalent.

DrDu
Science Advisor
Note also that hybridization is not a property of the molecule but entirely your personal choice of a convenient expression for the molecules wavefunction.
E.g. molecules like ethylene can equally well be described in terms of sp2+p or sp3 hybrids and water in terms of s+p or sp3 or even something intermediate.
In the case of H2S a description in terms of pure s and p orbitals makes probably more sense than the assumption of sp3 hybrid orbitals as the s and p orbitals in second row atoms differ considerably in size and energy.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
No hybridization at all and pure sp3 are just two ends of a continuum.

For some highly symmetrical molecules (say, CH4) hybridization of the central atom is a pure sp3. But for some other molecules, like H2S, what we observe is just some partial hybridization, in which bonds are not equivalent.
I see. How does one determine whether pure hybridization is a more appropriate model to describe orbital shape?

What about HCl, are orbitals of chlorine hybridized in that case?

Borek
Mentor
No need for that.