Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hybrid orbitals problem

1. Oct 8, 2014 #1
    I'm seeing conflicting answers among various textbooks. I would predict that it forms SP3 hybrid orbitals, and yet its bond angles are far from 109.5.

Edit: H2S, rather.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No hybridization at all and pure sp3 are just two ends of a continuum.

For some highly symmetrical molecules (say, CH4) hybridization of the central atom is a pure sp3. But for some other molecules, like H2S, what we observe is just some partial hybridization, in which bonds are not equivalent.

4. Oct 9, 2014 #3

DrDu

Science Advisor

Note also that hybridization is not a property of the molecule but entirely your personal choice of a convenient expression for the molecules wavefunction.
    E.g. molecules like ethylene can equally well be described in terms of sp2+p or sp3 hybrids and water in terms of s+p or sp3 or even something intermediate.
    In the case of H2S a description in terms of pure s and p orbitals makes probably more sense than the assumption of sp3 hybrid orbitals as the s and p orbitals in second row atoms differ considerably in size and energy.

5. Oct 10, 2014 #4
    I see. How does one determine whether pure hybridization is a more appropriate model to describe orbital shape?

6. Oct 20, 2014 #5
    What about HCl, are orbitals of chlorine hybridized in that case?

7. Oct 20, 2014 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No need for that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook