Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hybrid protein which is composed of two proteins

1. Oct 8, 2005 #1
    If you have a hybrid protein which is composed of two proteins that are very different from each other, will you be way less likely to be able to make the hybrid protein retain the original functions of one of the proteins/either of the proteins because of that?

Sorry for bothering you
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you talking about heterodimers, or trying to somehow attach the N-terminal of one protein to the C-terminal end of another? To form a heterodimer, you'd have to start out with two proteins capable of interacting in the first place, and heterodimers do have different functions from homodimers. If you're talking about synthesizing a protein with the beginning of one and the end of another, then the outcome is simply a new protein. The folding pattern (tertiary structure) wouldn't likely be anything like either of the original proteins, so the function would also be different, if it had any function at all.

You really should spend more time reviewing the basics of protein structure and function from a biochemistry textbook.
  4. Oct 8, 2005 #3
    I wanted to be able to use slime mold proteins/genes to do something....apparently I couldn't do that because they're too different from brain protiens. I was just wondering could I make hybrid proteins (using a brain/slime mold proteins) to do what I wanted to do. Would I even need the slime mold proteins to do what I wanted to do? Could I just use slime mold genes to do what I wanted to do?

5. Oct 8, 2005 #4
    (It won't let me edit my previous post) If I made a hybrid protein out of a slime mold/brain protein would it definetly have a different function than either of the original proteins?

(These questions are in regards to using slime mold genes/proteins in a neuronal cell culture to see if they could- hypothetically- make neurons make connections)

6. Oct 8, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You really need to take a basic biology course to understand the role of genes and proteins much better. Genes encode proteins. You cannot just stick two proteins together and expect them to have any function, let alone retain their original function. Cellular function is far more complex than one gene and one protein.

You can't do what you want to do whether you have the genes or proteins. That's what everyone has been trying to tell you in the numerous threads you've started on this topic.
  7. Oct 9, 2005 #6
    K never mind I understand that it wouldn't be possible sorry

I would delete the other two posts/other posts but it won't let me edit or delete posts for some reason...but if somebody wants to and can they can delete the other posts I wrote...thanks
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?