Hybrid rebates give scant improvements-

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: Flywheel and pneumatic hybrids?In summary, the study found that government programs that offer hybrid vehicle rebates are failing to produce environmental benefits.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Hybrid rebates give scant improvements-----

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090804090944.htm

ScienceDaily (Aug. 6, 2009) — Despite major costs to taxpayers in the U.S. and Canada, government programs that offer rebates to hybrid vehicle buyers are failing to produce environmental benefits, a new UBC study says.

So is this another green con?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The auto industry allies in Congress changed the requirement for the so-called "cash for clunkers" rebate. Initially the new car was supposed to have better fuel efficiency than the older car by 9 or 10 mpg (I've seen various numbers for this). Certain cars that were already considered efficient were not supposed to qualify for this prgram. These requirements were downgraded, allowing the mpg improvement to be as little as 2 mpg (some say).

This has been, in effect, nothing more than an auto industry stimulus. So, it's "weak coffee" but not exactly a con.Edit addition: the paper thing... I keep telling my students that waste paper would better be burned in a proper "energy recovery" incinerator/generator. Plastic shopping bags, too.

My dad composts some news papers, he says it gives a better potato crop.

Paper recycling was never about the environment it was more about being relatively easy for people to do (paper is clean, easy to store and easy to identify)
And when people wanted their news delivered 24hours later on bits of tree it was profitable. But new paper comes from Swedish timber farms it isn't ripped from the Amazon. It's odd that scrapyards never managed the same green image.

The reason for storing the paper is that putting it in landfill is a lot more expensive - paper takes up a lot of space, doesn't crush and doesn't degrade.

Remember the article is from the Daily Fail, I didn't read to the end to discover how all this is caused by immigrants, what effect it has on house prices and how the death of Princes Di is involved.

Chi Meson said:
The auto industry allies in Congress changed the requirement for the so-called "cash for clunkers" rebate. Initially the new car was supposed to have better fuel efficiency than the older car by 9 or 10 mpg (I've seen various numbers for this). Certain cars that were already considered efficient were not supposed to qualify for this prgram. These requirements were downgraded, allowing the mpg improvement to be as little as 2 mpg (some say).

Some say? Not true.

The value of the credit for the purchase or lease of a new passenger car depends upon the difference between the combined fuel economy of the vehicle that is traded in and that of the new vehicle that is purchased or leased. If the new vehicle has a combined fuel economy that is at least 4, but less than 10, miles per gallon higher than the traded-in vehicle, the credit is $3,500. If the new vehicle has a combined fuel economy value that is at least 10 miles per gallon higher than the traded-in vehicle, the credit is $4,500.
http://www.cars.gov/faq

The fact is the the average gain so far is about 10 mpg. That suggests a net gain for the GDP [reduced demand for imported oil] of about 2 billion dollars for every billion invested. See the cars program thread. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=328229

Anyone who can do arithmetic knows that the early generation hybrids are a waste of money. The increased cost isn't even offset by the fuel savings when compared to standard fuel-efficient autos. One of my arguments related to the use of diesels and biodiesel fuel is that the Honda Civic diesel gets better mileage than the Honda Civic Hybrid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivan Seeking said:
the Honda Civic Hybrid.

Haha, that's funny..still, electric is the way of the future, and by supporting hybrids and electrics you are at least helping in the sense that you urge the auto industries to continue investing money to improve that technology

Ivan Seeking said:
Some say? Not true.

Oh yeah? I saw it on the INTERWEB!
One of my arguments related to the use of diesels and biodiesel fuel is that the Honda Civic diesel gets better mileage than the Honda Civic Hybrid.
I'm looking into the new VW diesel Jetta. I had great results with a diesel Rabbit through the 80s.
My real question is, where the heck are the flywheel and pneumatic hybrids?

Depends on how you use them, on a freeway a small VW diesel beats anything, but in stop-start around town traffic a hybrid is very good. There is a reason all taxi drivers have them - and it's not that they are all personal friends of David Suzuki.

Still the new rebate scheme is better than the last one that let realtors write off a $100,000 hummer as a working truck.

My real question is, where the heck are the flywheel and pneumatic hybrids?
Switzerland
300px-Gyrobus_G3-1.jpg

And France http://www.mdi.lu/

junglebeast said:
Haha, that's funny..still, electric is the way of the future, and by supporting hybrids and electrics you are at least helping in the sense that you urge the auto industries to continue investing money to improve that technology

I don't think so; not yet. Imo, the greatest imperative is to implement the widespread use of biodiesel. Diesel cars are already a tried and true technology that is cost competitive with the conventional IC engine. The real solution in my lifetime, I believe, are alternative [carbon-neutral] fuels. Eventually we can go all electric, but there are far too many needs for conventional engines. Electric cars are just a luxury and a novelty at this point. Plug-in hybrids may play a role soon IF they can be made cost competitive. So far the GM Volt is a joke - essentially a $35,000 Corolla.

It is a simple matter of energy density.

The breakthroughs in fuel-producing algae and other organisms come almost every day. Also, Exxon just announced that after a two-year study, they are putting their money into algae.

Last edited:

Regardless of what type of fuel you use, making it a hybrid increases your efficiency. there's no reason why you can't have hybrid biodiesel.

A diesel makes more sense for a hybrid for all the usual diesel reasons.
Plus the diesels main weakness of poor acceleration is helped by using the electric motor (which has max torque at zero revs = great acceleration).
It's also more efficient to stop and start a diesel engine. VW diesel golfs have had a system for a while where the engine shuts off when you stop in traffic and a flywheel is used to automatically restart the engine when you pull away again.

the main reasons current hybrids are gas/petrol is that you can't get diesel in all markets and they don't want to build two models of a small run car. And public response that (diesel = dirty) so a hybrid diesel would confuse tree huggers.

junglebeast said:
Regardless of what type of fuel you use, making it a hybrid increases your efficiency. there's no reason why you can't have hybrid biodiesel.

Ford is supposed to be bringing a diesel hybrid to the market soon.

mgb_phys said:
the main reasons current hybrids are gas/petrol is that you can't get diesel in all markets and they don't want to build two models of a small run car. And public response that (diesel = dirty) so a hybrid diesel would confuse tree huggers.

They can now. Since we adopted the use of ultra-low sulfur fuel, diesels now meet epa standards. Beyond that, biodiesel has no sulfur in it [beyond perhaps miniscule amounts]. But you are correct in that the public needs to be educated about clean diesel technologies. I had to get over than hump myself. My early impressions of diesel include one a friend had back in the late 70s - a smoke belching rattlebox Mercedes that could barely get up our driveway. Heck, even my old Datsun PU had no problem! But modern diesels are another story.

IIRC, they were shooting for something like 60 mpg for the Ford diesel hybrid.

Last edited:

Here is some information about the Ford diesel hybrid from a few years ago.

But that isn't really the impressive part. How about 0 to 60 in under 7 seconds while getting about 65 mpg? How? The Ford Reflex Diesel hybrid vehicle is powered by next generation lithium-ion batteries...
http://www.hybridcarrevolution.com/ford_reflex_diesel_hybrid_vehicle.htm

January 8, 2006 Concept cars are designed to showcase technological capability and to test market opinion. As such, the Ford Reflex concept car shown to the media for the first time today scores maximum points on both counts. The subcompact-sized Reflex is a technological showcase with its advanced diesel-electric hybrid engine, a liberal sprinkling of solar panels and such advanced safety features as inflatable safety belts. More importantly, the advanced diesel-electric hybrid engine and new-generation lithium-ion batteries help deliver up to 65 miles per gallon, offering guilt free performance...
http://www.gizmag.com/go/5005/

with image gallery
http://www.gizmag.com/pictures/gallery/5005_8010674343.jpg
http://www.gizmag.com/go/5005/gallery/

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivan Seeking said:
The breakthroughs in fuel-producing algae and other organisms come almost every day. Also, Exxon just announced that after a two-year study, they are putting their money into algae.

You said it, and moments later I read a magazine ad for Exxon's algae development. A smiling Joe Weissman ("scientist" the caption says) sits next to some huge green spheres and the words "algae can create renewable energy while absorbing CO2."

Ivan Seeking said:
IIRC, they were shooting for something like 60 mpg for the Ford diesel hybrid.
The VW Polo right now gets 62 mpg; just diesel, not hybrid so without the expensive and questionably-green batteries. Not available in USA, yet, but supposed to be available 2011 (why not sooner? why not NOW?) I'll ride my bike till then, but at this point unless new information comes in, I'll be first in line for one. They also make another, smaller diesel, the Lupo, which is pushing 90 mpg. They have no intention of making this one available in US.

Chi Meson said:
The VW Polo right now gets 62 mpg; just diesel, not hybrid so without the expensive and questionably-green batteries. Not available in USA, yet, but supposed to be available 2011 (why not sooner? why not NOW?)
Probably doesn't have enough cup holders

Ironically in europe diesel has the opposite image problem. It's seen as low power/performance - only driven by tree huggers and older people 'watching the pennies'.

Chi Meson said:
The VW Polo right now gets 62 mpg; just diesel, not hybrid so without the expensive and questionably-green batteries. Not available in USA, yet, but supposed to be available 2011 (why not sooner? why not NOW?) I'll ride my bike till then, but at this point unless new information comes in, I'll be first in line for one. They also make another, smaller diesel, the Lupo, which is pushing 90 mpg. They have no intention of making this one available in US.

How far do you commute? It must not be very far.

Anyway, I too have reservations about hybrids and anything dependent on battery technology. I am not convinced that there is anything green about batteries.

DIESEL CARS: Diesel vehicles may be making a comeback. Diesel engines are more powerful and fuel-efficient than similar-sized gasoline/petrol engines (about 30-35% more fuel efficient). Plus, today's diesel vehicles are much improved over diesels of the past. Since diesel cars aren't really marketed in the U.S., below is a list of the top 25 fuel efficient cars in Europe. Notice they all but one run on diesel. For a list of diesel cars sold in America
http://www.bovinebazaar.bizland.com/deisel.htm

Diesel wins at Le Mans [June 2006]

Over the past weekend, in front of a record 235,000 spectators, the Audi R10 took first place in the 24 hours at Le Mans, arguably the world's premier endurance racing event. This marks the most significant victory yet for a diesel-powered car in a major racing event, and possibly an important turning point in the perception (held by many Americans) that diesels are noisy, stinky, and slow: the Audis were the quietest, cleanest, and fastest cars in the race. Significantly, they were also the most fuel efficient.

On average, the Audi drivers refueled only every 14 laps, considerably less often than the petrol-powered entries. At one point a record-setting 16 laps were driven on a single 90-liter fuel load. By the end of the 24-hour race, the winning R10 was on it's 380th lap, a new record for the event...
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2006/6/20/212325/307

Last edited:

Whats even funnier about the Audi diesel win is that it was almost a joke (well for Germans anyway)
The Audi R8 had won Le Mans so many times in a row and so easily that there was talk of introducing handicapping rules to let someone else win.
So they built a diesel version - which still won - as a sort of prank.

mgb_phys said:
Whats even funnier about the Audi diesel win is that it was almost a joke (well for Germans anyway)
The Audi R8 had won Le Mans so many times in a row and so easily that there was talk of introducing handicapping rules to let someone else win.
So they built a diesel version - which still won - as a sort of prank.

What? They built a car to lose. Bull. People don't pull pranks. Auto racing is a serious business.

Ivan Seeking said:
What? They built a car to lose.
No they built a car to demonstrate their superiority.
If you have won 7times in a row, there is no story (=news coverage) in winning the 8th, there is only potential bad publicity in losing.
But build a diesel car to compete and there is huge publicity, even if you didn't win.
It's like tiger Woods competing in a charity match left handed.

And of course it doesn't do VW (Audi's owners) sales of diesel Golfs any harm.

Last edited:

wolram said:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090804090944.htm

ScienceDaily (Aug. 6, 2009) — Despite major costs to taxpayers in the U.S. and Canada, government programs that offer rebates to hybrid vehicle buyers are failing to produce environmental benefits, a new UBC study says.

So is this another green con?

I bought a Prius in 2006 during the tax credit program. And, as the article stated about the buyers, I would have bought one anyway.

I think that the current programs are a little different since there is at least some requirement that you get better mileage and that the old vehicle gets scrapped.

1. What are hybrid rebates?

Hybrid rebates are financial incentives offered by car manufacturers or governments to encourage consumers to purchase hybrid vehicles.

2. How do hybrid rebates work?

Hybrid rebates typically involve a certain amount of money being deducted from the cost of a hybrid vehicle at the time of purchase, making it more affordable for the consumer.

3. What improvements do hybrid rebates provide?

While hybrid rebates may make hybrid vehicles more affordable, they do not necessarily provide significant improvements in terms of fuel efficiency or emissions reduction.

4. Why do hybrid rebates give scant improvements?

Hybrid rebates may give scant improvements because they do not address the root causes of environmental issues, such as the overall carbon footprint of the transportation sector and the need for more sustainable infrastructure.

5. Are hybrid rebates effective in promoting environmentally-friendly transportation?

The effectiveness of hybrid rebates in promoting environmentally-friendly transportation is debatable. While they may incentivize consumers to purchase hybrid vehicles, they may not address the larger systemic issues that contribute to climate change.