Can a Rotary Engine Efficiently Charge Batteries in Hybrid Vehicles?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of inventing and the speaker shares their personal experience with inventing a rotary engine and later learning about the Wankel engine. They also mention trying to get interest for their invention but eventually giving up. The conversation also includes a discussion about the purpose of the forum and the idea of "thinking outside the box." The speaker shares an animation of their invention and mentions previous studies of different types of engines. Overall, the conversation touches on the topic of inventing and the exchange of ideas.
camerart
Hi,
Have you ever tried to invent anything?
Long ago, as a school boy after learning about internal combusion engines, I 'invented' a rotary engine. (It had actually been invented in the 19th century) My dad said "If Fords can't do then you can't" So I stopped. Years later I learned about the Wankel engine, which was similar to what I had thought, and carried on trying. I didn't mention it to my dad again.

I went through lots of iterations, and tried to get any interest, but gave up some time ago, and put it out of my mind.
The last iteration, was for an IC engine battery charger for hybrid vehicles, which didn't drive the wheels, had no flywheel and could infinitely change the compression ratio.

Here is the idea (animation), which I stress is not in anyway a drawing, but just to illustrate how it would work. I hope you find it interesting.

KEY: Light blue incoming gas--dark blue compressed gas--red combustion--brown exhaust.
Cheers, Camerart.

Engineering news on Phys.org
PROJECT5.gif

That is basically a 2-cylinder 2-stroke engine with the crankcase replaced by your "head pistons".

Two-Stroke_Engine.gif

You may need some valves, either on the intake or exhaust side of your "main pistons" to regulate the flow (similar to a supercharged 2-stroke as presented below).

main-qimg-2167856c2605cac95a992aecd72bbddc.gif

• Informative
Likes berkeman
camerart said:
I hope you find it interesting.
I think you would find the Napier Deltic interesting.

It's kind of obsolete, but still: historical.

camerart said:
Have you ever tried to invent anything?
I think you misunderstand the mission of PF. We are here to discuss mainstream science and engineering as defined by textbooks and peer reviewed papers. We attempt to help members to understand. This is not the place to discuss new ideas or new inventions.

Member @phinds said it best.
phinds said:
Thinking outside the box only works well when you first understand what's IN the box.

Think of PF is the place to come to learn what is IN the box. Thinks like existing rotary engines.

Likes Bystander and phinds
jack action said:
That is basically a 2-cylinder 2-stroke engine with the crankcase replaced by your "head pistons".

You may need some valves, either on the intake or exhaust side of your "main pistons" to regulate the flow (similar to a supercharged 2-stroke as presented below).

If you look a little closer you will see that this design has variable compression ratio, also there are valves on the intakes.
C

Rive said:
I think you would find the Napier Deltic interesting.

It's kind of obsolete, but still: historical.

Hi R,
I studied all kinds of engine, including the Deltic, which I remember being tested on the railway near me.
It has crankshafts plus lots of moving parts, where mine doesn't, which would make it obsolete.
C

anorlunda said:
I think you misunderstand the mission of PF. We are here to discuss mainstream science and engineering as defined by textbooks and peer reviewed papers. We attempt to help members to understand. This is not the place to discuss new ideas or new inventions.

Member @phinds said it best.Think of PF is the place to come to learn what is IN the box. Thinks like existing rotary engines.
Hi A,
This isn't a new invention, it's from my past, that I thought may be interesting, I hope I didn't offend you.
C

1. What is a hybrid vehicle IC engine?

A hybrid vehicle IC engine is a type of engine that combines both an internal combustion (IC) engine and an electric motor to power a vehicle. This allows for improved fuel efficiency and reduced emissions compared to traditional IC engines.

2. How does a hybrid vehicle IC engine work?

A hybrid vehicle IC engine works by using the electric motor to assist the IC engine in powering the vehicle. The electric motor can either provide additional power during acceleration or can solely power the vehicle at lower speeds. The IC engine also charges the electric motor's battery while the vehicle is in motion.

3. What are the benefits of a hybrid vehicle IC engine?

Some benefits of a hybrid vehicle IC engine include improved fuel efficiency, reduced emissions, and lower operating costs. The electric motor also provides a smoother and quieter driving experience.

4. Are there different types of hybrid vehicle IC engines?

Yes, there are several types of hybrid vehicle IC engines, including parallel, series, and plug-in hybrids. Each type has a different configuration for how the IC engine and electric motor work together to power the vehicle.

5. Are there any drawbacks to a hybrid vehicle IC engine?

One potential drawback of a hybrid vehicle IC engine is the higher upfront cost compared to traditional IC engines. Additionally, the battery may need to be replaced after a certain number of years, which can be expensive. However, these costs may be offset by the long-term savings on fuel and maintenance costs.